• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

You can combine ant colonies without queens with a worker less queen

queen ant combing colonies dead queen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ant Broski - Posted May 10 2017 - 6:09 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA
I did some experimenting and I discovered that if an ant queen dies and you put a new ant queen of the same species in they usually except her as the new queen. I tried it on my tetriorium caespitum colony when the queen died from warming up too fast from hibernation, and a tetramorium caespitum queen who's workers all died. I did the same with two camponataus colonies when one of them the queen lost her workers when I was on vacation, and the other colony had lost their queen from injury. I combined those two colonies, and it worked! I hope for anyone who's queen just died and have a spare queen can save their colony! Let me know your results :)
  • Martialis and Mettcollsuss like this

#2 Offline nurbs - Posted May 10 2017 - 6:51 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Yeah, I have done this as well. Recently had a V. pergandei with about 10 workers whose queen died, and another workerless queen with lots of pupae and larvae. I put both colonies in the fridge for about 15 min, took them out, and placed the queenless colony with the other queen and they got along fine.

Edited by nurbs, May 10 2017 - 6:52 PM.

• Ant Broski and Mettcollsuss like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:00 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Wow! I've heard of this with honeybees, but not ants.

• Ant Broski likes this
Spoiler

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I wonder if putting my queen-less lasius alienus colony in the fridge and then throwing in a L. Umbratus queen would work?
  • Ant Broski and Mettcollsuss like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted May 11 2017 - 1:48 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

You can try. Social parasites are always tricky but I guess your chances are better than trying it with a colony that still has a queen.

• T.C. and Ant Broski like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 11 2017 - 3:04 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I wonder if putting my queen-less lasius alienus colony in the fridge and then throwing in a L. Umbratus queen would work?

That is actually a method for Lasius social parasites.

• T.C. and Mettcollsuss like this

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 11 2017 - 3:57 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I did this without the fridge technique this season; not sure if got lucky or not.  My  L. alienus queen died a couple weeks out of hibernation.  She had a small brood and a couple nanitics.  I intentionally left her body in there and waited until L. umbratus came out of hibernation (about 2-3 weeks).  I taped the two test tubes together, and the L. umbratus queen slowly entered the other tube, caused a bit of chaos.  Within the first few minutes she tore the dead queen in to pieces.  After an hour, things had settled down, and by the next morning, she was sitting with the brood and they were tending to her.  The pieces of the old queen had been moved away to the opposite end of the attached test tube.   I lost one nanitic unfortunately from accidental drowning (they are small and I use a cotton ball to feed, but the drop didn't get absorbed entirely unfortunately as she got stuck.)   See how they do long term.   The new brood is getting close to new workers (believed to be original brood still from this season).  However if that doesn't happen soon, I doubt it will be a success.

• T.C. and Ant Broski like this

#8 Offline Ant Broski - Posted May 11 2017 - 6:59 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Wow! I've heard of this with honeybees, but not ants.

I didn't either until I tried it :)
  • Martialis likes this

#9 Offline Dbiggerstaff11 - Posted May 13 2017 - 6:12 PM

Dbiggerstaff11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a S. Invicta Queen I recently captured from a nest. She has 2 workers but desperately needs more. Could I try this with her even though she already has workers?

#10 Offline Ant Broski - Posted May 14 2017 - 9:17 AM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I have a S. Invicta Queen I recently captured from a nest. She has 2 workers but desperately needs more. Could I try this with her even though she already has workers?

I wouldn't suggest doing that, because those two workers are going to attack the other workers. Instead you can brood boost. Which means get some larvae and/or pupae of the same species and putting them with your ant colony.

#11 Offline Dbiggerstaff11 - Posted May 14 2017 - 9:41 AM

Dbiggerstaff11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
[quote name="Ant Broski" post="61006" timestamp="1494782240"]

[quote name="Dbiggerstaff11" post="60955" timestamp="1494727948"]
I have a S. Invicta Queen I recently captured from a nest. She has 2 workers but desperately needs more. Could I try this with her even though she already has workers?[/quote]
I wouldn't suggest doing that, because those two workers are going to attack the other workers. Instead you can brood boost. Which means get some larvae and/or pupae of the same species and putting them with your ant colony.[/quote
I currently have 6 S. invicta Workers I was about to put in there. They're currently in the fridge getting chilled. I may have to risk it because the 2 workers she has are not getting out is their test tube to get food. I'm afraid if I don't boost their worker amount, they may perish. Would this be smart?

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 14 2017 - 9:46 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If they aren't leaving to forage yet, it means they don't need to. Boosting will not fix any problems with your queen or the setup.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#13 Offline Dbiggerstaff11 - Posted May 14 2017 - 10:04 AM

Dbiggerstaff11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

If they aren't leaving to forage yet, it means they don't need to. Boosting will not fix any problems with your queen or the setup.

Ok, but they've been in there for a week and only 1 ant has left once

#14 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 14 2017 - 10:08 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

A week is fine. They are in more danger by being exposed to foreign workers than they are when foraging at their convenience. Make sure they have fresh food when they are ready.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#15 Offline Dbiggerstaff11 - Posted May 14 2017 - 10:10 AM

Dbiggerstaff11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

A week is fine. They are in more danger by being exposed to foreign workers than they are when foraging at their convenience. Make sure they have fresh food when they are ready.
Ok. Thanks, I have a mealworm and some honey for them. If the two workers died however, could I try this?

#16 Offline Ant Broski - Posted May 14 2017 - 10:40 AM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I wouldn't suggest doing that, because those two workers are going to attack the other workers. Instead you can brood boost. Which means get some larvae and/or pupae of the same species and putting them with your ant colony.[/quote]
I currently have 6 S. invicta Workers I was about to put in there. They're currently in the fridge getting chilled. I may have to risk it because the 2 workers she has are not getting out is their test tube to get food. I'm afraid if I don't boost their worker amount, they may perish. Would this be smart?[/quote]

If the colony about to die they might except new workers. You can try. Worst casesenerio the workers you put in die.

#17 Offline Ant Broski - Posted May 14 2017 - 10:41 AM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok. Thanks, I have a mealworm and some honey for them. If the two workers died however, could I try this?

Yeah

#18 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 17 2018 - 6:16 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Would this work for newly mated queens? Like combining a colony with a dead queen with a queen which just became fertile?

#19 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 17 2018 - 2:56 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Would this work for newly mated queens? Like combining a colony with a dead queen with a queen which just became fertile?

Probably

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#20 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted May 19 2018 - 6:44 PM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Yeah, I have done this as well. Recently had a V. pergandei with about 10 workers whose queen died, and another workerless queen with lots of pupae and larvae. I put both colonies in the fridge for about 15 min, took them out, and placed the queenless colony with the other queen and they got along fine.

Do you know if this will work with majors? I have a lone Camponotus Pennsylvanicus major and a queen whose workers have all died out. She tried a few times to lay more eggs but she seems rather inept. All of her eggs/larvae have died off. If I refrigerate and introduce them do they have a good chance of getting along?

Founding: 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x4

Camponotus Chromaiodes x4

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, ant, combing colonies, dead queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users