• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Huch's formicarium development thread.

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Formik - Posted July 12 2015 - 11:39 PM

Formik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPoland

If I'm not mistaken, the air should slowly diffuse through that cotton plug and due to leveled pressure, water will begin to flood. It should be fine if you substitute it with a rubber plug or something else that doesn't allow air to pass. 

I hope my post makes sense - I'm not a native english speaker :)

• drtrmiller likes this

#22 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 13 2015 - 1:05 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

I would also be curious, if it works as it should, but I think the same. A solid plug would be better.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#23 Offline yen_saw - Posted July 13 2015 - 4:33 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

I use clay to plug the refill hole.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2015 - 7:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If I'm not mistaken, the air should slowly diffuse through that cotton plug and due to leveled pressure, water will begin to flood. It should be fine if you substitute it with a rubber plug or something else that doesn't allow air to pass. 

Exactly. I might not have been clear enough. The smaller hole needs to be plugged air tight.

#25 Offline Crystals - Posted July 13 2015 - 8:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I would look at a rubber cork, or even oil based modeling clay.

Otherwise it looks neat.

• LC3 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#26 Offline Huch - Posted July 14 2015 - 9:03 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

I have printed a couple of the chambers, but as I work on assembling them, I am rather disappointed with the dowel design. The pieces fit togethor sometimes too tightly and snap the dowels off (Which means adhesive). Most of the time, one side of the dowel portion is poorly printed (An anomaly of the printer), and I think some very small species could get through where the dowels go into place. I am going to switch from the dowel method to metal screwes, but I have to move the holes around and shrink the connections to accomodate the screws. I hope screws will not strip the plastic. I guess I will find out.

I have at least two of the dowel design that are ready to sell now. I will put them on Amazon unless anyone wants to lay claim now. I will ship on Friday or Saturyday. In the meantime I have to finish the rest of my first batch. I printed about 8 of these older designs, and I have a lot of acrylic to cut.

All of it is push fit and can be taken apart and be cleaned. A dowel could snap when you do this, but it isn't likely since I have put them togethor and made sure it fits well.

I just wish I had more time to work on this.

#27 Offline yen_saw - Posted July 15 2015 - 5:22 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Sweet! It would be great if you could use the following test tube.

That way you don't have to remove the test tube to replenish water behind the cotton.

Make sure both cotton balls stay saturated, or you will end up with a flood. The difference in air pressure (suction) is what holds the water in. If one cotton ball goes dry, the air will continue to flow in, allowing the water to flow out the other end.

Exactly. I might not have been clear enough. The smaller hole needs to be plugged air tight.

Thanks dspdrew, i did a little experiment using both saturated and unsaturated cotton to plug the hole on separate test tubes. The unsaturated test tube leaked out after a day, the saturated one last longer but once it started to dry out the water leak out too. Thank god i have been using clay which plugged the test tube air tight and prevent leaking. 

I would look at a rubber cork, or even oil based modeling clay.

Otherwise it looks neat.

Clay works for me but i wish i could find rubber cork small enough to plug the refill hole. I am sure it would work too.

Sorry Huch for messing up this thread, promise to start another thread if there is any future discussion on the refillable test tube. I will check out your product on Amazon.

#28 Offline Huch - Posted July 15 2015 - 8:03 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

No problem Yen.

Here is one I just finished.

IMG_6425.jpg

• dermy and LC3 like this

#29 Offline prettycode - Posted July 20 2015 - 5:46 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I don't understand what the white piece in this last picture is. You have all the test tubes feeding into one rectangular piece, then a tube from that rectangular piece to the outworld.

How come the ants don't go into this communal rectangular piece, and invade/attack the other ants in the other test tubes?

#30 Offline Huch - Posted July 21 2015 - 6:13 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

The whole thing is only setup to use one single colony. I would replace the test tubes when they are dirty or there is no more water left.

#31 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 21 2015 - 8:33 PM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

I don't understand what the white piece in this last picture is. You have all the test tubes feeding into one rectangular piece, then a tube from that rectangular piece to the outworld.

How come the ants don't go into this communal rectangular piece, and invade/attack the other ants in the other test tubes?

with you. for some reason i don't get the practical use of this either.

#32 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 22 2015 - 12:17 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Maybe once you have many large colonies, you guys will understand the value. It's also cool for moving colonies. You can just plop the old and new test tube in there, and let them move on their own.

#33 Offline LC3 - Posted July 22 2015 - 12:24 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Orrr. You can keep them in the little box thingee and the testtubes can be full of water or sugar water. Maybe even food? I would imagine this being effective for small colonies. 

• Ants4fun likes this

#34 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 22 2015 - 8:42 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I like the rectangular white piece. It can be used as a secondary, smaller outworld or I was imagining using it as an outworld itself. Having multiple tubes for one colony ensures there's plenty of humidity and they're free to move if one tube gets dry or dirty and you have it opportunity to replace it with a clean one. Unlike some other nests, moving the colony is simple as detaching the tube they're nesting in.

Huch, be sure to make a post in the Marketplace when you have them ready for sale, I'm interested in giving them a try!

• Ants4fun likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#35 Offline Huch - Posted July 24 2015 - 7:05 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Hey thanks for the interest and encouragement guys.

I ended up going with some of your suggestions. Now the ports to the chamber can fit 1 of 3 things: a test tube, .5OD vinyl tubing, or a 3d printed plug. I replaced the dowels with threaded inserts and screws, so no more breakage. I changed some of the the measurements, so now everything fits more snug than before. However, because of the minor deviations in test tubes, I could only get about 85% of the test tubes to fit tightly, with about 75% fits tightly enough to flip it upside down without falling out. Here is a video demonstrating the how snug and what kind of force is required to install and remove the test tubes, tubing, and plugs. Sorry the shakiness, I am a one man show without a camera stand.

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

The only thing left for me to do is to widen the slots where the plexiglass fits and widen the screw holes a little bit. It is entirely too tight and slightly difficult to put together.

I plan to have another prototype Sunday night. I think functionality wise, this project is finished. Once I fix the slots, I will post again the market place.

These are my ideas for future projects:

1. The port with options, but more like a single ring connection like I posted previously.  It sounds simple with my current measurements, but the printing material warps on one side, throwing off the measurements entirely.

2. A 2,3,4 way connection for the vinyl tubing, test tubes, and plugs.

3. A cleaner connection to the tubing and out world.

• Lamarr likes this

#36 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 24 2015 - 7:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

I think you may run into problems with this hole design.  

AntsCanada claimed to have filed or intended to file a patent for exactly what you describe here.  It looks identical to what they use in their "Hybrid Nest" series of formicaries.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 24 2015 - 7:14 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#37 Offline Huch - Posted July 24 2015 - 7:36 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

That stinks, but thanks for the info. I thought this was unique. I could not find the patent on the US patent website. I am just gonna go ahead and sell this when I am finished tuning up the design (Until I get sued or something). Anyhow, here is an example of what goes in, and how tight the fit is:

IMAG0646.jpg

IMAG0647.jpg

The second photo is me holding it upside down, showing it does not fall out.

Edited by Huch, July 24 2015 - 8:03 PM.

• Gregory2455 and Lamarr like this

#38 Offline Huch - Posted July 24 2015 - 8:49 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

So, after reading about patents and searching for awhile, I still cannot find out what or where the patent is/for. I watched his videos on the hybrid nests, but he does not say what exactly the patent is for. If he is claiming the connection point, I will argue mine is different. I am sure our measurements are different, and it is clear that my connection is extruded while his is not. There are other ways to make a double connection in different ways; ie have the test tube slide over the connector, or have the inner tube act as an outer sleeve, or a combination of both. I could alter the materials or use plumbing materials, change shapes and add a shape connector. I could do a detatched connection. As you can see, this was my second attempt, if I end up making a third, it will be different and better in some way.

If I had a really good idea that was worth patenting (there is not enough interest in the hobby I think), I would crowdfund to buy the patent and donate it, or somehow make sure everyone can use it for free. I am sure there is some way to make something open for everyone to use and sell without risk of getting sued for infringement.

Edited by Huch, July 24 2015 - 8:52 PM.

#39 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 25 2015 - 1:06 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

That universal connection is a great idea IMO. You mentioned it accomodates 0.5" OD tubing. What size test tube is it designed for?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#40 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 25 2015 - 1:19 PM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

pm me, and ill give you a little info on how to get around this patent "issue", without stepping on toes.  patents aren't as intimidating as they seem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users