• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

868 replies to this topic

#441 Offline Wa.Va - Posted July 1 2019 - 1:09 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I would like to give my Myrmica rubra Colonie with multiple queens a bigger outworld.

I still have my paludarium and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a tube attached from the formicarium onto the island.

It will go partially under water so they still can't escape from the island.

What do u guys think.

• Barristan, FeedTheAnts and Broncos like this

#442 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 1 2019 - 8:47 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How big is the formicarium? If it is a small compact formicarium I would just unplug it and set it on the island. The ants will move in once they realize they have access to dirt.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#443 Offline Wa.Va - Posted July 1 2019 - 9:27 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

How big is the formicarium? If it is a small compact formicarium I would just unplug it and set it on the island. The ants will move in once they realize they have access to dirt.

It's pretty big, there isn't enough space, or I'll probably destroy flora.

#444 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 2 2019 - 11:01 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
You might want to keep the island drier tho. It looks really wet.
  • Wa.Va likes this

#445 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 2 2019 - 12:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

He's moving a colony of Myrmica into it.... Myrmica need a minimum of 80% humidity in my very lengthy experience.
  • Wa.Va likes this

#446 Offline Wa.Va - Posted July 2 2019 - 11:47 PM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

He's moving a colony of Myrmica into it.... Myrmica need a minimum of 80% humidity in my very lengthy experience.

JUp, but I think there is a gradient of moist with dry areas inside the wood.

#447 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 3 2019 - 4:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

True but the outside looked muddy a little. In the middle it should be a bit drier than the outside is.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 3 2019 - 4:49 AM.

#448 Offline Barristan - Posted July 3 2019 - 12:25 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I built a new (ytong) nest for my small Camponotus aethiops colony:

IMG_0409.jpg

The glass (15 cm x 10 cm) is attached via neodym magnets:

IMG_0416-1.jpg

A 20 mm tube can be connected to the nest:

IMG_0412.jpg

I used blue acrylic paint for the outside and loam paint for the chambers and tunnels.

• dermy, T.C., TennesseeAnts and 5 others like this

#449 Offline Rstheant - Posted July 3 2019 - 8:41 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Wow, that’s looks good. I assume you used a dremel or some router to achieve such perfection.

#450 Offline Barristan - Posted July 3 2019 - 10:13 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Wow, that’s looks good. I assume you used a dremel or some router to achieve such perfection.

No I didn't. I used a 35 mm Forstner bit. Forstner bits are great for horizontal nests, since you can easily drill in chambers in various sizes. For the water reservoir I also used this forstner bit and after that I smoothed the walls with a mortise chisel and a wood rasp. I find dremel not very efficient for carving in large chambers or tunnels, but if you want to even further smooth the surface you can than use a dremel.

#451 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 4 2019 - 1:47 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

now that i have settled on a basic design, it is simply a process of perfecting it. I think tubes are a hassle, especially in founding formicaria or in attaching formicariums with ants already in them. I have been playing with magnets placed behind the glass on either side of an entrance hole, these allow the formicaria to sort of "snap" together with each other and with their outworlds, just as an experiment i bought some fairly strong magnets at the hardware store, they work to a degree but i would need much stronger ones to be satisfied, as a light bump can currently pull them apart. Either way i like this better than tubing. I also relocated the water hole to the top of the nest and made it much larger, as trying to fill that giant tank with a syringe was ridiculous, now you can just fill it up at the faucet or with a cup of water or something, it also allowed me to eliminate the handles which were hideous, and go with simple hole in the faceplate.

IMG 20190703 171804745

the larger fill port and access hole

IMG 20190703 172133943

attached to a simple outworld i threw together for the purposes of this test

IMG 20190703 171906725
magnets for the outworld

IMG 20190703 171844337
i used a little terrain mold to make a casting to hide the magnets, its kind of rough but as i said i made this in a hurry just to test the magnet concept

IMG 20190703 171817470

connection to outworld

IMG 20190704 164825624

connected to an unfinished nest

IMG 20190704 164831981

union and magnets, i would not think a 1/4" of glass would cut down on their force this drastically

IMG 20190704 164843429

tight seal, i cannot fit a piece of paper between them

video demonstrating the concept

• Barristan, rbaezam, Superant33 and 5 others like this

#452 Offline Barristan - Posted July 9 2019 - 2:47 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

I built my small Crematogaster scutellaris colony a simple wood nest:

IMG_0456.jpg

As basis I used a wooden strip made from spruce wood, which I sawed to the right size (each 15 cm x 6 cm x 1.5 cm).

In the middle piece I drilled chambers with a forstner bit. Unfortunately, I made too many chambers, so the walls broke and now I basically have one large chamber. I also had to fix one side with wood putty.

The glass pane was fixed with aquarium silicone.

The cover is attached by a hinge:

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

The ants store brood near the glass, on which a heating mat is placed:

IMG_0485.jpg

A short tube made from food save PVC is connected to the outworld via a cable gland:

IMG_0487.jpg

The nest isn’t moisturized, this ant species can live in dry nests.

• dermy, FeedTheAnts, SuperFrank and 2 others like this

#453 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 9 2019 - 2:53 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

IMG_0456.jpg

As basis I used a wooden strip made from spruce wood, which I sawed to the right size (each 15 cm x 6 cm x 1.5 cm).

In the middle piece I drilled chambers with a forstner bit. Unfortunately, I made too many chambers, so the walls broke and now I basically have one large chamber. I also had to fix one side with wood putty.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

A short tube made from food save PVC is connected to the outworld via a cable gland:

IMG_0487.jpg

Wow, that’s a pretty cool nest! I might try something like that!
  • Barristan and FeedTheAnts like this

Spoiler

#454 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2019 - 3:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So simple, yet elegant! I wonder if our American Crematogaster would do well in a nest like that?
  • Barristan likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#455 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted July 9 2019 - 4:57 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I have being working on a small modular nest... I have not put a lot of effort honestly but now that I have some ants on my way from SuperFrank I got back to the files on the computer and throw a couple of prototypes to test!

This is the general idea, there is a lot of work that can be done to improve the design but as a single module/founding chamber sure will work...

formicario.jpg

This was one of the original 3D printed prototypes, I will be using vinyl tubing to provide water for moisture and to interconnect modules (similar idea of how the Nestmates from THA work), and I was planning to use magnets to keep the glass on place but as this will be a modular system I don't want to take any chances to knock off the glass while trying to connect another unit or moving the whole thing so I decide to just use some corner pieces, another option was to use plexyglass and screws but for the sake of visibility I will be using glass...

formica.jpg

And white or light color PLA instead of black or I will not be able to see any ants!!!

• Barristan, SuperFrank and Boog like this

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#456 Offline Barristan - Posted July 9 2019 - 9:46 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

So simple, yet elegant! I wonder if our American Crematogaster would do well in a nest like that?

If the species builds nests in dead wood the chances are high that they don't require any extra moisture too. I mean you can just build one, attach it to the outworld, apply a heat source and see if they move in by themselves, like my ants did.

Edited by Barristan, July 9 2019 - 9:54 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#457 Offline Wa.Va - Posted July 10 2019 - 3:39 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Aren't you scared they will escape by chewing the wood? My Crematogaster s. even chewed the plastic tubing. Only 3mm left and I have to replace it.

#458 Offline Barristan - Posted July 10 2019 - 6:06 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Aren't you scared they will escape by chewing the wood? My Crematogaster s. even chewed the plastic tubing. Only 3mm left and I have to replace it.

At least not for now. I already kept this species in a wood nest. I couldn't see them chew through the wood. This species seems to prefer brittle wood in nature for building their nests. So if I extend the nest fast enough they shouldn't try to escape. But time will tell ;)
  • Wa.Va likes this

#459 Offline T.C. - Posted July 10 2019 - 8:15 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Almost identical to some setups i had. Easy to make and they worked really well.
  • Barristan and ANTdrew like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#460 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted July 23 2019 - 9:59 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Here is my grout nest, is it good?

Grout Formicarium

It is about 5 inches by 5 inches, made of a grout perlite mixture as is detailed in the CrystalS formicarium tutorial. The water chamber is deeper than the others, just to make sure that any flooding occurs in there, away from the ants. Still kind of smells like zucchini, likely from the olive oil, a few hours after being removed from the mould. Of course I still have to paint it, and add the glass, and do the outworld (One of those little plastic terrariums we all put bugs in when we were seven.). Has anyone ever considered 3D printing a grout formicarium mould, to streamline the process? I'm not sure if it would leave ugly ridges, be hard to get out, or if it would be perfect. Maybe it's time to finish that 3D printer.

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, July 23 2019 - 10:04 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, SuperFrank and ANTdrew like this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users