• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

868 replies to this topic

#401 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 13 2019 - 7:31 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Here is a little prototype nest I just made with my new mold.

Made with hydrostone, and it has a THA water tower that’s removable. Credits to YsTheAnt, he helped me visualize the design,( we made one together). :lol:

Edited by Rstheant, March 14 2019 - 2:23 PM.

• YsTheAnt and ANTdrew like this

#402 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted March 15 2019 - 3:58 PM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

This is NOT K23, or Ytong...this is the hardest #$*& ever...just straight up hard as hell firebrick...

firebricknest

I used a cordless Milwaukee drill on hammer setting with a few sizes of masonry bits to remove most of the material, then I used a small hammer and mini-chisel to round the walls and what not.  I have another full-sized brick and the other half of this one...  But it was SUCH A TASK that I'm not exactly itching to get to work on them...  I need to find a better cover for this one.  I have not moved any ants in, yet.

• ANTdrew likes this
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#403 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2019 - 4:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dang! Does that material absorb water?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#404 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted March 16 2019 - 2:44 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
It does! I need to order some plates of acrylic for the cover and some decent magnets to hold it. I had used Elmer’s glue and a cut piece of CD cover. I rinsed the brick to clean it and it absorbed quite a bit of water, so before I put the cover on, I set it on top of a radiator heater over night. The next morning I put the cover on and within minutes there was condensation clinging to the surface on the inside. The picture above is not the totally finished product. I also drilled small holes in three places to use as hydration ports. That picture is not the best because is hard to tell that I deepened two chambers and left two of them more shallow. It was a satisfying project, but it took the better part of four hours with a dust mask, muffs, hammer drill, and hammer and chisel to get it where I wanted it!! I only recommend this route to the most-stubborn of us ant keepers... And if you’re not a cusser, you may well be by the end!
  • ANTdrew likes this
Camponotus castaneus
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Pheidole crassicornis

#405 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 16 2019 - 8:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Haha! K23 firebrick would take 20 minutes and a PG vocabulary. Your material sounds ideal for so called destructive species that could gnaw right through k23, though. Post final pics and updates on how your ants do in the nest, please.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 16 2019 - 8:57 AM.

• Superant33, Rstheant and Nylanderiavividula like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#406 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 16 2019 - 11:19 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
It seem like the time when I tried carving grout. I couldn’t get a dremel so I used a screwdriver. Couldn’t make a DENT. Some cussing was involved, until my mom put an end to it, and I got a free detention! Yay! :lol:
  • TennesseeAnts and DaAnt like this

#407 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 16 2019 - 12:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Really, because non sanded grout I can carve with a tooth pick.

#408 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 16 2019 - 3:31 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I’m talking about sanded grout mixed with sand, that’s been dried for 2 weeks. It’s really hard, look at one of Crystal’s tutorial.

Edited by Rstheant, March 16 2019 - 3:49 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#409 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted March 17 2019 - 9:12 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

This is simplistic, but I the Rubbermaid Brilliance containers come in all sorts of sizes...I really plan to play around with some of these + the above firebrick nests to see what I can come up with.  The ONLY drawback to the Brilliance containers is that it is annoying to have to pop those little locking flaps every single time you need to take the top off...but I think I can figure out a way to obviate that problem. 

cheapsetupone

For founding formicaria it's hard to get much simpler than this.  Just don't forget to drill out an extra 3/8" (or whatever size you prefer) hole in preparation for upsizing if need be.

basicfoundingshelf

This is a simple little shelf I built to hold ~six founding formicaria and get away with keeping them on our little kitchen table without my wife killing me.  I ran the 6' heating cable back behind them.  I also have a section for test-tube-queens that is hard to see in this picture. 

Camponotus castaneus
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Pheidole crassicornis

#410 Offline anttics - Posted March 18 2019 - 6:07 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Here are some pics of my new hybrid nest. It has both anttropolis style in one half the other half is red clay for them to dig. Once they stablish trasg site ill add more decorations.

This is a massive terrarium. 2'x2'
Anttropolis alone will.be able to hold 20000 workers. They have enough dig space for a few thousand more. I have also introduced a spring tale Colony. Which has disapear. 1 day after I put the novos in. I hope they are hiding. Ill show the inside of the nest and the hidding spots for the springtales. I dump some rice for them. Unfortunately the novos took it outside. So no foof for the spring tales for now.

Edited by anttics, March 18 2019 - 6:12 PM.

#411 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 18 2019 - 6:26 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I have also introduced a spring tale Colony. Which has disapear. 1 day after I put the novos in. I hope they are hiding. Ill show the inside of the nest and the hidding spots for the springtales. I dump some rice for them. Unfortunately the novos took it outside. So no foof for the spring tales for now.

It doesn't look like it is humid enough for springtails, but great work on the formicarium.

#412 Offline anttics - Posted March 18 2019 - 7:02 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I have also introduced a spring tale Colony. Which has disapear. 1 day after I put the novos in. I hope they are hiding. Ill show the inside of the nest and the hidding spots for the springtales. I dump some rice for them. Unfortunately the novos took it outside. So no foof for the spring tales for now.

It doesn't look like it is humid enough for springtails, but great work on the formicarium.

You have not seen the inside of the formicarium. Do you see that pink cover. That whole thing 2 feey lonh is the nest. The bottom would be the habitat for the spring tales

#413 Offline Barristan - Posted March 20 2019 - 9:37 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I like using nests made out of AAC (Ytong), but I don't like it's quite unnatural looking white color. So I tried natural loam paint, which consists of loam, chalk and talcum. You just mix the powder with some water and can start painting.

I originally planned making a laying nest, which I painted completely (except for the bottom):

IMG 2193

Unfortunately  there was a crack in the ytong which went straight through the water reservoir and caused the water to leak. So I saw off the water reservoir and drilled a new one on one side and made a standing nest:

IMG 2203 1
IMG 2231

As you can see the water can pass through the paint and will even and my Lasius niger colony already moved some larvae into the nest:

IMG 2228
IMG 2221

So far I really like the result, however it is not a good idea to paint the outside with it since the paint is not water resistant and will easily wash away if you touch wet parts. So it is better to use another type of paint for outside parts of the nest.

• drtrmiller and ANTdrew like this

#414 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted March 20 2019 - 2:11 PM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I think I speak for most of us Americans when I say I am very jealous of the Ytong availability in Australia and European countries...
  • TennesseeAnts and Dumpling like this
Camponotus castaneus
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Pheidole crassicornis

#415 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 20 2019 - 2:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
There is one supplier in the U.S.

#416 Offline CoolColJ - Posted March 21 2019 - 4:02 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

You can stain it with a chocolate drink :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#417 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 22 2019 - 6:02 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Or just take the simple option and paint it with some paint.

#418 Offline Xanuri - Posted April 2 2019 - 10:26 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

Moved Here:

http://www.formicult...um-beta-design/

Edited by Xanuri, April 2 2019 - 11:19 AM.

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#419 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 27 2019 - 7:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I just carved this little wooden nest today. I have my C. nearcticus queen in it. I designed it specifically for smaller Camponotus, Formica and Lasius.

P.s. If anyone wants one, I can make more. :)

FDtF6b-JKsefs5buN2mOwpYI_T30JXLJrCAIPSTx

OOnjoqpquheFTQ1QuxhI2gR29GU3DVjGWHNl_Vtg

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 27 2019 - 7:40 PM.

• Barristan, YsTheAnt, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#420 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 27 2019 - 10:10 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I just carved this little wooden nest today. I have my C. nearcticus queen in it. I designed it specifically for smaller Camponotus, Formica and Lasius.

P.s. If anyone wants one, I can make more. :)

FDtF6b-JKsefs5buN2mOwpYI_T30JXLJrCAIPSTx

OOnjoqpquheFTQ1QuxhI2gR29GU3DVjGWHNl_Vtg

This looks like it turned out pretty well!  The only problem is that could probably very easily chew their way out of that nest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users