• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

868 replies to this topic

#361 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 15 2018 - 5:18 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I use acrylic storage boxes from IKEA and 3D printed nests to give my ant farms some individuality =)

5cqzQOc.png5b7xxnB.png

yKB2hsl.pngonAdz1n.png

bJXvItu.png

Your ad popped up on Gumtree (Australian sales site) so I clicked the link, the website looks great, well done!
  • Broncos likes this

#362 Offline 1582268614646806 - Posted September 20 2018 - 11:40 AM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

POPULAR

New design for my Carebara diversa in their new home (2 queen colony)! This is them after the 48hr move in a design formicarium remixed from artGuard (credit goes to him for the original design). This is still a working project - a vertical modular formicarium able to hold high humidity. Given the height of the column they used the bottom module for storing seeds and the brood and eggs is mainly stored in the highest part of the module probably because of the higher humidity as a result of evaporation. (Before you wonder about the colours, it was my friends who challenge me to do one in rainbow colours to demonstrate the modular effect).

• ctantkeeper, Barristan, T.C. and 7 others like this

#363 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2018 - 9:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Those look really cool!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#364 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2018 - 9:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I started work on a firebrick formicarium yesterday. I borrowed dremel bits from the shop teacher at the school where I teach. I'll be attaching this with silicone to a 10"x10" cube fish tank I ordered from Amazon as an all-in-one set up. I'll move my tetramorium in here when they're big enough.

• ctantkeeper, Barristan, DaveJay and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#365 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 6 2018 - 6:07 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Here is a little test tube transfer/out world container I just made. gallery_2_136_15999.jpg The caps are made from acrylic and silicone tubing. gallery_2_136_2755.jpg gallery_2_136_37211.jpg The test tubes fit inside the silicone tubing, and then they screw into the case. gallery_2_136_36713.jpg gallery_2_136_2254.jpg gallery_2_136_39517.jpg It's nice because the test tubes don't have to be exactly 16mm, but just close enough. There also isn't a lot of obstacles the ants have to walk over between the tubes and the case, where sometimes they choose to hang out for days. It's simply glass tube all the way up to a flat acrylic wall with a smaller hole in the middle that goes through into the case. gallery_2_136_42936.jpg

How do you make those though?
  • Barristan likes this

#366 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 25 2018 - 12:40 PM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

POPULAR

This is a nice thread to read at work ;)

I'm busy with open and closed bio active ecosystems. More about this in my journal.

I hope u like it

• Barristan, Leo, T.C. and 8 others like this

#367 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 26 2018 - 5:49 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Wow, looking great!
  • Wa.Va likes this

#368 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 26 2018 - 8:11 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Wow, looking great!

Thnx, glad u like it!
  • DaveJay likes this

#369 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 26 2018 - 1:13 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Looks like pumice

• Wa.Va likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#370 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 26 2018 - 1:38 PM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Looks like pumice

Made with one tiny screwdriver^^ pretty happy about it. bad part is, I shouldn't have paint it with coffee..
  • TennesseeAnts, DaveJay and DaAnt like this

#371 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 26 2018 - 3:39 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Looks like pumice

Made with one tiny screwdriver^^ pretty happy about it. bad part is, I shouldn't have paint it with coffee..

HA! Coffee.
Never thought of that you paint with coffee!

#372 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 26 2018 - 7:19 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Looks like pumice

Well hopefully no ants eat the paint!

#373 Offline Miles - Posted November 26 2018 - 7:26 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Ants are repelled by coffee, which contains a natural insecticide (caffeine). Coffee grounds are often used as an insect deterrent in gardens.

You're going to want to wash that nest very thoroughly.

Edited by Miles, November 26 2018 - 7:27 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#374 Offline T.C. - Posted November 26 2018 - 8:08 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Very impressive @Wa.Va
  • Wa.Va likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#375 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 27 2018 - 12:59 PM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Ants are repelled by coffee, which contains a natural insecticide (caffeine). Coffee grounds are often used as an insect deterrent in gardens.

You're going to want to wash that nest very thoroughly.

Jup. Luckily for my ants, I'm not using it. The others are painted with tea.
  • DaveJay likes this

#376 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 27 2018 - 10:43 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Okay, I've spent the last hour and more investigating the half-life of caffeine and decaffeination methods and your best bet is to simply soak, rinse and repeat using fresh water which is one method used for tea and coffee decaffeination only that in those cases instead of throwing the water away the caffeine is removed from the water by activated carbon, then the residue from evaporating the water is added back to the tea or coffee to put the taste back. The other methods won't be suitable for home use unfortunately but being extremely soluble in water you can remove all of the caffeine quite easily just soaking in clean water a few times.

Edit - A couple of things, tea contains about half of the amount of caffeine as coffee, but still a substantial amount so you would be best to soak the tea painted nests too. Also, caffeine is not listed as highly toxic to insects but does have adverse effects on some, the effects of caffeine are exaggerated because they can't metabolise and eliminate it very well whereas it is listed as being toxic to birds, dogs and cats. So I don't think a bit of caffeine will kill the ants directly, but they might behave strangely.

Edited by DaveJay, November 27 2018 - 10:53 PM.

• Wa.Va likes this

#377 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 28 2018 - 3:55 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm going to clean them. I think it's for the best. The last thing I want is harming my lovely ants. Hm, but what should i use instead.

#378 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted November 29 2018 - 2:07 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

53WDNvW.jpg

Just got my new nest, formicarium and outworld from Empire of Ants. They look awesome and I can't wait to wake my colonies up to a new space. I don't think I can clean the formicarium, so when it gets trashed I guess that's it.

The nest I hooked up to my AntsRussia X8 outworld to let my tetramorium colony grow bigger before putting them in the X8 nest. I also picked up a plant. Not sure how that is going to work out, but for now it looks dope.

vpwScgX.jpg

• T.C., Scrixx, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#379 Offline CoolColJ - Posted November 29 2018 - 2:11 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
^ did you paint the plaster nest in the second pic? :)

should be able to pull the other nest out when the time comes

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#380 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted November 29 2018 - 2:51 PM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
Out of curiosity, would anyone know how to go about making a formicarium along the same principles as the "Mini Hearth" design that TarHeelAnts has? I love the design(s) but I've had bad experience when ordering from him. Not to mention when he messed up my order and a friends order, he had no intentions on making it right...id rather try and make them myself. I get the concept but the sand texture on the inside of them...how? Wet sand shaped instead of using clay for the chamber(s)? Fantastic design as said before but again, I'd love to make these myself...or something along the same principle.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users