• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2451 replies to this topic

#1261 Offline Patp3 - Posted October 2 2018 - 9:37 AM

Patp3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Camped on the west side of Joshua tree last night ran my black light ended up seeing alot of Males but think I only caught 1 female ant the whole night (pics to come) and then today on my way out I went looking by the south end, definitely alot of moisture in the ground. Didn't see any nuptial chambers (or any I could tell) but did see a few smaller red ants with winged ants at the entrance. While I was packing up my car to leave something flew in my trunk and ended up being a myrmica(I think) queen.

#1262 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 2 2018 - 5:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

While I was packing up my car to leave something flew in my trunk and ended up being a myrmica(I think) queen.

Probably not Myrmica, but if you post an ID thread I'm sure we can ID it pretty quick. I'm gonna go out there and look around tonight.

#1263 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 10 2018 - 10:53 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

https://weather.com/...n CA 92679:4:US

Weather is expected to be 80F this Friday. Kinda want to test my UV LED's at 100% power.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1264 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 10 2018 - 11:07 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Are there any any that are still having nuptial flights at this point in the year?

#1265 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 10 2018 - 5:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

A pretty good chance of rain in the mountains/foothills and the desert this weekend. If it rains anywhere east of Chiriaco Summit, we might see more flights, Acromyrmex versicolor most likely. I'll probably go out looking for more Myrmecocystus cf. mendax.

#1266 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 10 2018 - 5:58 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Ooooh yeah, Saturday has a high chance. Nice

Dumb question I'm sure

But do Myrmecocystus Mendax devlop repletes? I can't seem to find an answer online. All that shows up on google are Mexicanus and Navajo repletes

Edited by Kalidas, October 10 2018 - 6:59 PM.

#1267 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted October 10 2018 - 8:38 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

All the myrmecocystus species are supposed to have repletes, just some have more repletes than others I think.

#1268 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 11 2018 - 6:30 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Well hopefully I can go. How longer after rain for they start flying? The next day? Or even the same day if the rain is early in the day? Like example the rains going on in Chiriaco this weekend are supposed to happen in the morning. So would they fly later that day, that night, or Sunday morning?

Now a big thing that may stop me this weekend is I may have potentially fractures my rib. Been having pretty bad coughing fits lately(allergies and phlem in the chest) and well I pulled a muscle yesterday in my side. And it got a whole lot worse today...

#1269 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 11 2018 - 6:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well hopefully I can go. How longer after rain for they start flying? The next day? Or even the same day if the rain is early in the day? Like example the rains going on in Chiriaco this weekend are supposed to happen in the morning. So would they fly later that day, that night, or Sunday morning?

It depends what time of day they normally fly. Acromyrmex versicolor for instance, will fly the next sunny morning after the rain. Sometimes they will fly again the morning after that as well if it's wet enough.

#1270 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 11 2018 - 7:17 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Ah okay, thanks for the info. Yeah strongly doubt I could go that night (Saturdays are kinda family days) so would be the next morning probably for me.

#1271 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 12 2018 - 9:47 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Hey Drew, what day are you going and what time? 

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1272 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 12 2018 - 5:30 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
And showers begin!

#1273 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 12 2018 - 6:11 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

And showers begin!

Yup.

So... Are you going and what day Drew?

#1274 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 12 2018 - 6:25 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

And showers begin!

Yup.

Just curious were you also asking me? I know you were aksing Drew, and I don't want to answer if your only asking Drew(that would be kinda weird lol). But I also don't want to be rude and ignore your question if you are asking me.

#1275 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 12 2018 - 6:51 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

And showers begin!

Yup.

Just curious were you also asking me? I know you were aksing Drew, and I don't want to answer if your only asking Drew(that would be kinda weird lol). But I also don't want to be rude and ignore your question if you are asking me.

Was asking drew... but don't like going alone. So guess it's an open question.

#1276 Offline nurbs - Posted October 12 2018 - 6:54 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

If it continues to rain into Saturday, which it looks like it will, most likely Sunday. Answering for Drew.

But that is also when I will most likely be going. Just watch the radar and go where it rains.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#1277 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 12 2018 - 7:00 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
I have never gone before so going at a time when others are going is something I would like to try and do also.

I was looking at maybe leaving here in Snata Ana at like 4am Sunday morning... Hope that's a good time... Not 100% honestly

Edited by Kalidas, October 12 2018 - 7:40 PM.

#1278 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 13 2018 - 4:57 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Ooooh yeah, Saturday has a high chance. Nice

Dumb question I'm sure

But do Myrmecocystus Mendax devlop repletes? I can't seem to find an answer online. All that shows up on google are Mexicanus and Navajo repletes

There are a few species for which replete production is unknown but M. mendax does produce them.

http://www.antwiki.o...i/Myrmecocystus

Snelling, R. R. 1976. A revision of the honey ants, genus Myrmecocystus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Nat. Hist. Mus. Los Angel. Cty. Sci. Bull. 24: 1-163 (page 1, Revision of genus)

#1279 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 5:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That storm was crazy. I don't remember seeing that much thunder and lightning lasting for that long in coastal Southern California as long as I've lived here, and I've been here almost my whole life. It looks like it just blanketed the desert with rain, mostly the area along the 10 freeway, which is perfect. Should be plenty of places where Acromyrmex versicolor will fly, and maybe more honeypot ants as well. It's still sprinkling and mostly cloudy now at 6:00am, so I highly doubt any of them will fly this morning. It also looks like there might be another little wave of storms going through again later today, so I think tonight and tomorrow morning will be most likely when they fly.

I really was wanting to look for Cyphomyrmex, as I have never found them before, and since the timing was perfect this time, I don't have to work the next morning when everything flies. I can't remember where I got this information, but I think they flew the same time Acromyrmex flew once in the past, so I'm just going off of that. I really don't know much about them, other than I always see them in the same places I find Acromyrmex.

#1280 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 13 2018 - 6:04 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
So what do you guys normally do? Go to Chiriaco Summit and park and then walk along the ten? Or just drive till you find a nice spot along the ten and pull off into the desert and start there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users