• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#521 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 14 2016 - 12:53 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Thanks for the tip, Drew. I only had 1.5 hours out there this morning but managed to dig up 2 C. vicinus, 10 Myrmecocystus, and a pair of mystery ants (Solenopsis?) in the first 100 yds or so of the road. Your weather/flight predictions are getting frighteningly accurate  :D

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#522 Offline asp762 - Posted May 14 2016 - 2:23 PM

asp762

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Damn, I went anting in Canyon Country (Placerita Canyon) and came up with nothing.  

Maybe I need to just go to the sure thing (aka wherever DspDrew finds 'em).  But it's a two hour drive...

#523 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 14 2016 - 2:33 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Couldn't go yesterday, but thinking of heading out tonight.  If I get there about 7:45pm, think they'll be out 'renovating' their nests or should I prep for breaking into logs?  I'm only interested in the C. vicinus and laevigatus.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#524 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 14 2016 - 5:24 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Damn traffic deterring me.  Should be 1:40, but says over 2hrs.  MF!

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#525 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 15 2016 - 9:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks for the tip, Drew. I only had 1.5 hours out there this morning but managed to dig up 2 C. vicinus, 10 Myrmecocystus, and a pair of mystery ants (Solenopsis?) in the first 100 yds or so of the road. Your weather/flight predictions are getting frighteningly accurate  :D

I was going to mention you might be able to dig up some C. vicinus, but I have never actually done that before, so that's pretty cool. I really want to see these mystery queens you dug up. I've never even seen Solenopsis up there, so it might be some other myrmecine I've never found before.

Couldn't go yesterday, but thinking of heading out tonight.  If I get there about 7:45pm, think they'll be out 'renovating' their nests or should I prep for breaking into logs?  I'm only interested in the C. vicinus and laevigatus.

I know it's probably too late to reply now, but breaking into logs would probably only be necessary for finding C. laevigatus, although I'm not sure how much you're going to get vs. how much damage you'll do. The best way is to just wait until it gets dark, when they all start working on their nests.

These Camponotus laevigatus are pretty much only found on very large logs. I have never even seen a queen anywhere but on one of those logs. I assume they don't even land anywhere but on a log like that. What I really want to know, is how to find Camponotus quercicola. I found one last year mixed in with all the C. laevigatus I found on those logs, but that was probably just a fluke. They strictly nest in living oak trees, so I would think that maybe that is where those queens try to land. I looked around on a few oak trees while I was there, but never found any. Like the giant pine logs and C. laevigatus, almost every oak tree has a colony of C. quercicola living in it already. Maybe some day I'll figure out the secret to catching them too.

#526 Offline kellakk - Posted May 15 2016 - 10:42 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I wonder if your mystery ants are Aphaenogaster! That would be cool, I don't think any of us in southern California have found queens of that species yet.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#527 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 15 2016 - 11:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I wonder if your mystery ants are Aphaenogaster! That would be cool, I don't think any of us in southern California have found queens of that species yet.

I was wondering if that could be a possibility, but it looks like they don't usually fly until July. I just don't know hardly anything about them, including what kind of founding chambers they would dig, or where they would typically be.

#528 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 15 2016 - 12:38 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

My bad, on closer inspection they are workers and not queens, from this ID thread. Still thought it was strange to have two workers living with the Myrmecocystus.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#529 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 15 2016 - 1:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Their queens almost look like M. testaceus queens actually haha.

#530 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 25 2016 - 6:05 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

No flights in sight! :mad:

#531 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2016 - 6:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, it's hard to believe we aren't getting a single day of warm temps.

#532 Offline Tpro4 - Posted May 25 2016 - 12:06 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

i found a couple of wandering queens on the ground at my school though so that's a good plus

Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#533 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 29 2016 - 1:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks like Thursday might finally be a good day for some black lighting.

#534 Offline DustyDoes - Posted June 1 2016 - 6:21 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA
How's the anting weather looking now? It's been a few days since that last post. Still thinking about taking the black light out for a night? I'd love to tag along if you end up going.

#535 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2016 - 6:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'll be going to Trabuco Canyon with NightsWebs Friday night.

• Okeedoke22 likes this

#536 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 1:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So I decided to go Thursday night, and it was pretty good. When I first pulled up around 8:00 pm, Temnothorax started swarming in the thousands, coating my whole windshield. Thirty minutes later, the flight was over and they were nowhere to be seen, other than a few randoms that showed up on the black light after it got dark.

I saw the biggest Camponotus males I have ever seen. They measured over 13mm in length. I also found one alate that I think was the same species. I'm pretty sure these were both the same species as the giant Camponotus that are all over that area. I have always suspected they are C. ocreatus. I've been wanting that species more than any other. I sure hope I get a colony of them.

I found another one of the strange parasitic looking Crematogaster queens that always just end up dying.

I found an orange parasitic Lasius, which is very strange considering it doesn't snow anywhere within 60 miles of that place.

Edit: The giant Camponotus are Camponotus CA-02.

Edited by dspdrew, April 25 2020 - 12:19 AM.

#537 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 2:04 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well NightsWebs didn't make it Friday night, but Subverted did. There weren't as many ants flying that night, but we still found some pretty good stuff. We both found more of those Camponotus cf. ocreatus CA-02 alates, which is good because the alate I found the night before died. I got a bunch more of those parasitic looking Crematogaster queens, and another orange parasitic Lasius.

Subverted got lucky and also found either Pheidole vistana (one of my other favorites) or Pheidole desertorum. They're almost impossible to tell apart. He also got lucky and found a random Formica moki running around. It's gaster was very small, so I had a feeling it wouldn't survive. I think it's already dead. :(

#538 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 4 2016 - 9:32 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Ocreatus pictures please.

#539 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 10:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ocreatus pictures please.

This is my old ID thread for them.

http://www.formicult...13/?hl=ocreatus

I'll post pictures of the dead alate as soon as I get it pinned up.

#540 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 11 2016 - 5:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think I might go black lighting Friday. That should be the start of another heatwave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users