• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2451 replies to this topic

#481 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2016 - 8:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Rained out in Southern California. :lol:

• PTAntFan and yaboiseth like this

#482 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 6 2016 - 8:21 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I know, right?  So dumb.  And then it will not be warm after the rain for like 10 days or something stupid so we'll have no idea when mating flights are happening.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#483 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2016 - 8:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's never warm after rain here. It's always cold and windy for a few days.

#484 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 6 2016 - 9:20 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Rained out in Southern California. :lol:

Any flights possible?

#485 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2016 - 9:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Possibly. I don't see any ideal conditions.

#486 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 16 2016 - 8:38 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Warm today in the valley with mild breeze but mountains look cold.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#487 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2016 - 4:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, the weather this whole month has been crap when it comes to mating flights.

#488 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 18 2016 - 1:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Headed out to the Cajon Pass this morning. Not much going on but did find a Formica francoueri and unknown alate wandering, I'm assuming they flew earlier in the week 

Stopped by Ice Canyon on my way back. Saw nothing but Liometopum occidentale, one colony had carpeted a tree with a few alates in the mix, not sure if they were moving nests or getting ready to fly. I may head back out there Friday night in hopes of finding some Camponotus.

• PTAntFan likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#489 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2016 - 6:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You've been on quite a mission already this season. I haven't hardly looked anywhere yet because the weather has just been horrible for this.

#490 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 18 2016 - 7:43 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

You've been on quite a mission already this season. I haven't hardly looked anywhere yet because the weather has just been horrible for this.

Gotta take advantage of what time I can find before I lament another empty-handed season.  :D

True, but it has been getting warm which appears enough for some queens to fly.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#491 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2016 - 7:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would probably be better off not finding anything this year. :lol:

• Chromerust likes this

#492 Offline NightsWebs - Posted April 18 2016 - 8:57 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

bah humbug Drew! we are going to get you some more novomessor cockerelli they are way cool

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#493 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 18 2016 - 9:20 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm still waiting for Solenopsis invicta to fly. I know someone saw them having a mating flight (but think that was in Texas). But the colony here in Southern Cali, I haven't seen any signs of queens at all...not even a hint of anything. Maybe the colony just hasn't produced alates this year, but the colony is over a year old...

However. Beginning to think I should skip those, and choose an ant that has smaller colonies/slower growth. I already have Pheidole megacephala and they are going to grow fast (three queens, and more on the way. Each queen lays on average 250 eggs a month). Plus the Acromyrmex versicolor colony will hopefully grow nice too. Granted, I say that and I'll probably still decide to keep Solenopsis invicta if I see queen(s) of them. :P

My actual goal might be to try keeping the huge Crematogaster queens again that I found last year. They are HUGE, even though the workers are small which is funny. I wasn't too interested with Crematogaster last year, but their colony sizes are very manageable and they don't grow too fast from my experience. I'd have to look through my posts I've made, when I found the queen I found. Think that was way later in the year in the Summer, around August. So, that be a long wait for them lol.

#494 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 18 2016 - 11:08 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Foogoo,

I might hit Mt. Baldy tomorrow...er, today. Looks to be 70+ by 10am. And yes, those Liometopum occidentale seem to rule the whole area.

#495 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2016 - 6:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The problem right now is that the humidity is extremely low.

#496 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 19 2016 - 6:30 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
I wonder how that became a factor in the evolution. Higher humidity decreases chance of desiccation while the sexuals are above ground?

#497 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 19 2016 - 6:37 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Do you know when you look at the wunderground app of the humidity is accurate and is it for that moment only? It looks pretty high for today in a few spots right now. How do you forecast and what % is ideal?

#498 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 19 2016 - 8:17 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Foogoo,

I might hit Mt. Baldy tomorrow...er, today. Looks to be 70+ by 10am. And yes, those Liometopum occidentale seem to rule the whole area.

Cool, let me know what you find! I was there around noon and there was nothing other than Liometopum.

#499 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 26 2016 - 11:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Might get some mating flights this weekend if this little heatwave hits. It's going to be dry, but we had an even dryer heatwave last year this exact same time, and I found Dorymyrmex insanus, Crematogaster, Pheidole, Temnothorax, Liometopum occidentale, Solenopsis xyloni, S. molesta, and Formica francoeuri.

#500 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 26 2016 - 5:50 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

But I want Camponotus. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users