• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any tips on collecting carpenter ants in MD?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline William. T - Posted February 14 2015 - 9:31 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

See, I want a mature colony, and quickly. My Lasius are just too slow! Since I want to collect ants, is there any tips to safely get a mature wood nesting out? 

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 14 2015 - 11:46 AM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
I only did this once and I simply brought the log home, cut it shorter and put it in my bath tub. Then just pulled the bark off to reveal the colony under it. I can't remember how I picked the ants out, I think I just used a paint stick and ran them up it one at a time and flicked them into a container.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 14 2015 - 12:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah it's best to use a large tub, or even a bathtub lined with fluon or talcum powder. That way you can work on it without any ants getting away.

#4 Offline William. T - Posted February 14 2015 - 1:42 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Eh,  are there ways to extract ants in the field?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted February 14 2015 - 2:01 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Camponotus are slow growers. Collecting in the field means you're going to lose a lot of the colony to the environment as they will scatter and run away. If you can find a way to bring the log they are in home, you can draw them out  by the tub method. I've found smoking them out works too.

#6 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 14 2015 - 3:44 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Yup mine stayed in the log all the way home from the mountains and they stayed there until I cracked the log open the next morning

#7 Offline William. T - Posted February 14 2015 - 4:35 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

But what happens if you put the ants in a bucket or a Rubbermaid container with petroleum jelly?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted February 14 2015 - 4:48 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have found that Camponotus walk right over petro jelly.  You need talc or fluon.

Even a small log can have a good sized colony.  I always find colonies when splitting firewood, and my neighbor finds lots in his carving wood.  I find that 2x4's if left on the ground often have a colony in them, or any good sized piece of wood on any open ground, or between trees.

A rubbermaid container will probably work well.  On a deck or in a garage provides a nice relaxing spot to extract them.

Keep in mind that if the area is heavily wooded, you may only have a satelitte colony.  The other hard thing about collecting in spring is that Camponotus overwinter their alates, so you will have lots of winged reproductives in there that sometimes decide that flying may be the best option.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline William. T - Posted February 14 2015 - 6:34 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Can Camponotus walk over Vaseline and cleaning alcohol? So any log with holes is a candidate?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#10 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 14 2015 - 6:40 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Can Camponotus walk over Vaseline and cleaning alcohol? So any log with holes is a candidate?

In my opinion everything is useless except Talc and Fluon. I'd pull a small piece of bark off and look for brood that's always a good sign.

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted February 14 2015 - 6:59 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Vaseline is a petro product - they cross it with ease.

Alcohol evaporates swiftly, usually within minutes.  Which is why it is mixed with talc, as it quickly evaporates leaving a powdery barrier that falls under the weight of an ant.  Some baby powders are 100% talc, but read the ingredients list to be sure.

Any log with holes is a good possibility.  Most of the logs I find them in don't have bark, or it isn't easily peeled.  I have used the claw of a hammer to pull logs apart.  I find firewood piles very good, as the pieces are already pretty small.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline William. T - Posted February 14 2015 - 7:03 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Baby paper can work?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#13 Offline William. T - Posted February 15 2015 - 2:19 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Can you use a hammer to break apart logs? Other than brood, are there other signs of a queen?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#14 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 15 2015 - 4:15 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I guess it all depends on the type of log. There really isn't any secret sure thing method. Every situation is different and mostly comes down to a lot of luck more than anything else. What you want to do is one of the hardest ways to get ants I can think of. You shouldn't go trashing a ton of nests looking for queens. I found my Camponotus colony on the first try because I became very familiar with their nesting habits first and spotted the perfect opportunity from experience. Nuptial flights are starting, you will find queens for sure if you want it bad enough.

#15 Offline William. T - Posted February 15 2015 - 6:23 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Oh. I didn't want to smash the log apart. I wanted to use the other end to help peel apart the bark.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users