• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan - 08/14/2018

michigan queen august

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cfreidsma - Posted August 13 2018 - 9:53 PM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationZeeland, Michigan

Location: Western Michigan last week in my kitchen. I live kind of on the edge of a decent sized town.

Date: 9th of August. Last week Thursday (I think, I had a migraine most of last week).

Habitat: In my kitchen. My house is a mobile home with a small yard located in a small town. I can't recall the weather due to the migraine, but I think it was sunny out. 

Length: 5mm. 

Distinguishing Characteristics: Interesting petiole. Looks different than any queen I have had. 

BygeX3klIX.jpgSybxm3ke8Q.jpgHJMxQhJlI7.jpgSJQgmn1xIX.jpgSJElQh1x8X.jpgHJSxmnJgUQ.jpgByIg73yg87.jpgHywlQ3ylUQ.jpg

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 13 2018 - 9:55 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Aphaenogaster. Possibly Aphaenogaster rudis.

• cfreidsma and AntsBC like this

#3 Offline cfreidsma - Posted August 14 2018 - 9:49 AM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Aphaenogaster. Possibly Aphaenogaster rudis.

So it is indeed something I have not had before. Should be pretty interesting. 

Thanks for the ID!

#4 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 14 2018 - 10:18 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Isn't that a little small for Aphaenogaster rudis?

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#5 Offline cfreidsma - Posted August 14 2018 - 10:48 AM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

She is at most 6mm. Maybe 5.5mm. Today she didn't twirl around as much so I actually got to measure her. 

After looking here https://www.antsylva...enogaster-rudis she would be too small. It also looks like she has two petiole nodes. 

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 25 2018 - 12:06 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I know I'm probably wrong but it almost looks like Solenopsis. Yeah, that must be a Solenopsis sp.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 25 2018 - 12:08 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Thing is the only Michigan fire ant species on sources like AntWeb is Solenopsis molesta, or Thief Ants.

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 25 2018 - 12:20 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Isn't that a little small for Aphaenogaster rudis?

Not at all. Aphaenogaster rudis are quite variable and are normally fairly small.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 25 2018 - 12:24 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I don't think there's any way to identify Aphaenogaster to the species with these photos. It's easier with the workers, but will likely require greater magnification.

Edited by Batspiderfish, August 25 2018 - 12:24 PM.

• AntsAreUs likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline cfreidsma - Posted August 25 2018 - 12:59 PM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I don't know if these images will help any. My macro lens for now is an old lens reversed. I can't control the aperture. 

When I took her out a few minutes ago, she was dead to. She was doing great and even had some eggs before now. Figured I would still post these.

(Attempted sharpness editing)

ByxG2zrJw7.jpg

(No editing)

S1X5n-Skv7.jpg

S1Z9nbSJvX.jpgBJx9hWrJDm.jpgHJfqnWBkP7.jpg

#11 Offline Jamiesname - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:49 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
What color is it? It looks reddish in the pics. I lack the expertise of Bat and Antsareus, but I'm going to throw Pheidole Bicarinata into the mix just to confuse everyone. There have been a couple confirmed Id's in the western, lower penninsula. However, I can't seem to find any info on the queen size for that species. Also, Drew's chart says they fly in June and July, but it's possible that they would fly in early August here in MI due to slightly colder spring/early summer temps.

https://www.google.c...0&bih=232&dpr=2

Edited by Jamiesname, August 25 2018 - 6:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michigan, queen, august

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users