• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan (NE Lower Penninsula) 8-23-18

Best Answer AntsAreUs , August 25 2018 - 5:29 PM

Solenopsis molesta and Brachymyrmex depilis.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:27 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I noticed a large Lasius flight tonight while driving a few blocks from home so I raced back to check my kiddie pool for queens. Sure enough I pulled out 19 L. Neoniger queens, which I released, and these unidentified queens that you can see in the pics. It was 7:40pm, it rained hard today until about 1pm. Temp was 75F.

I'd like to try to take a shot at these girls, so please let me know if I'm wrong.

First one I think is S. Molesta. 6mm long yellowish tan. (I hoped it was P. Bicarinata until I saw that the color is wrong).

2018 08 25 21 03 33

2018 08 25 20 55 30

2018 08 25 20 56 54

These two I want to say T. Sessile, but their much lighter than the T. Sessile queen that I have in captivity already. She's brown, almost black. These are tan or light tan. One is just under 5mm, the fat one is just over 5mm.

2018 08 25 21 02 33

2018 08 25 21 06 04

I wanted to add that I caught 4 extra (keeping 4 for myself) L. Latipes queens that I'll give away to anyone in Michigan willing to pick them up. I have an obsession with parasitic queens and I can't pass up the opportunity to catch a few whenever I can lol.

Edited by Jamiesname, August 25 2018 - 5:32 PM.

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:29 PM   Best Answer

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

• Jamiesname and AntsBC like this

#3 Offline Jamiesname - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:41 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Thanks, you nailed it! Hopefully the S. Molesta has mated, I've been hoping to catch one of these this summer. I have no interest in the others, so I'll likely release them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users