• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dom's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal

leaf cutters acromyrmex

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 26 2018 - 9:40 AM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

I collected eight of these queens in my local park on 7.16.18. Two had fungus pellets and 6 did not. One of the six missing a pellet died, leaving me with 7 total. I put the two queens with fungus into a foraging area with mesquite leaves, oatmeal, and some flowers. In only 10 days, one queen's fungus garden has grown a lot from just a small pellet. I also see eggs, although they're hard to see in the photo.

Queen and fungus
Queen

These small flowers with the bright red stamens are their favorite substrate out of what I've offered them.

Favorite food

They have also shown interest in oatmeal, and the mesquite leaves are chewed apart too. Here's a photo of their current setup. Recommendations for improvements are always welcome!

Setup

• nurbs, rbarreto and Wegmier like this

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 26 2018 - 4:23 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

What happened to those missing pellets?

#3 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 26 2018 - 7:20 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

What I've read is that these queens often will drop their pellet as they dig their chambers. They are also semi-claustral, so I may have stumbled upon a few that had already dug a chamber and were just foraging.

#4 Offline giraffedom - Posted August 1 2018 - 8:27 AM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

This queen is doing really well. Her fungus has gotten a lot bigger, and I see that she has eggs. You can see one in her mandibles in the first photo. Soon I think her fungus will be big enough that I can start donating small bits to the queens that don't have any.

Fungus

One thing I've noticed is that these ants like to surround the wet cotton ball in the outworld with substrate. I don't know if this is to soften it or because its an instinct for them and they just think it's a big fungus ball. It all molds very quickly, which is a pain, but at least it's all in one spot and I can quickly clean it out. You can't see it in this photo because I already retrieved the moldy plant material, but I'm sure they'll do it again. I place substrate in a small dish now in hopes of preventing this.

Habitat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaf cutters, acromyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users