• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

High Desert, California July 12, 2018

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 12 2018 - 8:00 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

1. Found 8 of these girls after a heavy rain, High Desert was the location of collection.

2. I collected them yesterday at about 7:30 pm (July 11, 2018).

3. Habitat of collection is "desert scrub".

4. From head to gaster she is approximately 5 mm.

5. Striped yellow and black gaster, dark red head and thorax. Shiny exoskeleton, not many hairs.

6. Could not spot number of petiol nodes due to their size.

7. Runs extremely fast, I had trouble catching them.

8. N/A

9. Assuming nupital flight happened on day of collection then they flew at about 7:30 pm (July 11, 2018).

10. Some pictures

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 12 2018 - 8:18 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Forelius mccooki/pruinosus.  They fly almost every time it rains in the desert.  I'm trying to see which species it is exactly, but they're very similar in my eyes.  It may take a bit for the exact species.

Edited by Zeiss, July 12 2018 - 8:18 PM.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 12 2018 - 8:23 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Forelius mccooki/pruinosus.  They fly almost every time it rains in the desert.  I'm trying to see which species it is exactly, but they're very similar in my eyes.  It may take a bit for the exact species.

Ok thanks, hope they are mccooki, don't forget to get back to me about the exact species  :)

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 12 2018 - 8:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

We drove through a mating flight of these and had them splattered all over the windshield.

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 12 2018 - 8:57 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

:girl_cray: We drove through a mating flight of these and had them splattered all over the windshield.

Awww, that is sad, imagine all of those potential ant colonies you ended.

Edited by AntPhycho, July 12 2018 - 9:00 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 13 2018 - 11:12 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Here are some more pictures of one of the queens. These where focused better with better lightning, may be helpful for identifying the exact species.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah305/AntLover122/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-13%20at%2012.10.15%20PM_zpso7e7au2b.png

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah305/AntLover122/Screen%20Shot%202018-07-13%20at%2012.09.01%20PM_zpsvd04i7kn.png

Ants & Formicaria

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 13 2018 - 2:49 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Not a chance of an Id from any photo you are likely to be able to take.

#8 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 13 2018 - 9:41 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Already got an ID, just not an exact one. 

Ants & Formicaria

#9 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 13 2018 - 10:21 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Already got an ID, just not an exact one. 

He meant you won't be able to get it down to the exact species.

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 14 2018 - 4:29 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Yup, what he said. Quite likely even my dad would have looked at those and said "Yup that's Forelius all right"

• Zeiss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users