• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Improvised meals for young colonies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 2 2018 - 7:13 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I am unfortunately going to be very busy for the next two weeks and I don't have time to go to the store and buy some food or go outside and catch something. Anyone know good foods that most people have in their fridge that I could feed my young colonies (proteins). Specifically some Lasius sp. and Aphaenogaster sp.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#2 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 2 2018 - 9:50 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Why don't you get a container of live small wood roaches, dump them in a fluon lined container, add a few pieces of egg crates or toilet rolls.
A test tube of water, dry dog food, and small slices/scraps of fresh fruit or vegetables like carrots and cucumber
That's it, they will live off that get bigger over time and eventually start breeding

That's what I did and then just open it up and catch one with a cross lock tweezers, hold it under a hot water tap for 20secs, it will die within a few secs.
Then serve to your ants :)

Or you could buy some feeder insects and freeze them or buy them already frozen.

Edited by CoolColJ, July 3 2018 - 1:54 PM.

• rbarreto likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 3 2018 - 12:55 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I would give them a feeder and add some extra protein this week for them to store.
  • rbarreto likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users