• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brood boosted my Camponotus suffusus with larvae from another species...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 2 2018 - 3:45 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
So a few days ago I flipped a rock over at a bush trail near my house and uncovered a big black Camponotus nest, black with yellow legs, yellow gaster stripes on the 12-13mm majors, possibly a Camponotus nigriceps colour morph.
Anyway they have some larvae and I took a few of the larger ones. Dumped most of them in front of my Camponotus suffusus nest entrance.
I half expected the suffusus to eat them or raise them.
But being a small colony of 7 workers and 10 larvae, they ended up being scared of the larvae :)

Yesterday I dumped most of the larvae directly into the nest entrance and pushed them in a little, and still the workers would freak out whenever they came close, and a sentry was always posted nearby
I sort of half figured the colony scent of the larvae would eventually diminish.

Well over night the suffusus have moved all the brood into the nest proper!
Remains to be seen if they will actually raise them. Since the original larvae owners are also big black Camponotus, it's not too far of a stretch species wise :D

click pics to enlarge

My suffusus queen and her new bed of larvae ;)
So the more yellow looking larvae belong to the other black Camponotus, and they appear to be adopted by the suffusus
And it looks like one larvae spun into a cocoon overnight :yahoo:

The yellow larvae more obvious here. There is also a heat cable running under the outworld where the nest sits inside, positioned under the brood

Edited by CoolColJ, July 2 2018 - 6:32 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 2 2018 - 6:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Nice! I had trouble getting my Camponotus to adopt larvae. Only pupae worked for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users