• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

G'day

introduction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 1 2018 - 10:14 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I've been reading for a while now and became a member so I thought it was time to say g'day to you all.

I'm 48, married and live in South Australia.

I've been keeping scorpions for a few years now and in February I started keeping Tarantulas. In one of the forums a young Australian bloke was showing pictures of his ants and I thought his set-up looked pretty cool.

Just out of casual interest I read some basic info and watched a few videos, I had no intention of keeping ants at the time but I like to research various subjects as they come along, I'm an avid reader with a thirst for knowledge. 

A month or so ago I was sitting outside of a hospital in the city and a lone ant crossed the path in front of me so I took a closer look, going by what I'd read I concluded that it was a queen ant so I caught it in the empty paper coffee cup I was holding, folded the top and took it home.

I had a small enclosure set up with just a compressed substrate mix in it so I put it in there to take some pictures and maybe get an I.D.

The ant now has a small bunch of eggs or larvae so I am now an Ant Keeper!

I've always kept a variety of animals my whole life but an ant colony is one thing I've never kept, even as a kid when I considered that anything I could catch was fair game for my private "zoo".

So reading threads in this forum has been very informative and entertaining for me, I thought I'd join and share my experiences and of course benefit from the experience of the members here.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Oh, and J is my middle initial so I usually use that as a username on forums, it stops my name coming up in searches, you only need to view my pictures to see my real last name. :)

Edited by DaveJay, July 1 2018 - 10:18 PM.

• Enderz, Gabraime, FeedTheAnts and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Gabraime - Posted July 1 2018 - 10:20 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
Welcome! Keep us update with that queen! That queen looks beautiful.
  • DaveJay likes this

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 2 2018 - 1:26 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Thanks, I'll upload more pictures soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users