• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for Camponotus herculeanus in Colorado

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 19 2020 - 7:38 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

So I’m looking to buy a Camponotus herculeanus queen (with brood/workers) in Colorado. If you’re interested PM me, I’d be willing to pay $40 or lower. I won’t do a handoff in person, but I’ll pay for shipping. 

Edited by Spazmops, August 19 2020 - 7:38 AM.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 19 2020 - 8:10 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Probably unlikely to get an offer, as herculeanus are not very common at all on the west coast, despite what antmaps may say. Hopefully you do get an offer though, and if not, there is always the fun challenge of finding a cool and uncommon sp. for oneself.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 19 2020 - 8:16 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Probably unlikely to get an offer, as herculeanus are not very common at all on the west coast, despite what antmaps may say. Hopefully you do get an offer though, and if not, there is always the fun challenge of finding a cool and uncommon sp. for oneself.

I see them a lot in my yard, so if I don’t get an offer hopefully blacklighting will do the trick.

Ants I have:

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 19 2020 - 8:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I see them a lot in my yard, so if I don’t get an offer hopefully blacklighting will do the trick.
You sure they aren’t novaeboracensis or something? I doubt they are herculeanus.

#5 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 19 2020 - 9:09 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

You sure they aren’t novaeboracensis or something? I doubt they are herculeanus.

They could be vicinus. I’m going off of the size and the red abdomen, but antweb says that herculeanus is in Colorado.

Ants I have:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users