• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

65q24g4g5f

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 26 2015 - 9:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:18 PM.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 26 2015 - 9:47 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:17 PM.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 26 2015 - 10:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Vendayn posted pictures! :D I see what you mean.

• Miles and cpman like this

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 26 2015 - 11:26 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:17 PM.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 27 2015 - 7:17 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just have my smart phone android (Nexus 4, updated to Nexus 5 I guess...)

Sorry if it is hard to tell. But, you can sort of see the paper-like material they made. Both about same picture, one might be clearer. I took more, but for some reason the pictures got corrupted after I took them as they aren't retrievable...a bit weird.

http://i4.photobucke...0126_213827.jpg

http://i4.photobucke...0126_213824.jpg

It is lower in the picture, toward the middle. It blends in a bit with the wood...but, should be able to see it a little bit if you are good at Finding Waldo... :P

OMG pictures! :o

#6 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 27 2015 - 7:22 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia
My dad got a Bougainvillea ( not sure of the spelling ) plant a while back with a gigantic colony of Pheidole megacephala in it. I tried to collect tem, but they moved somewhere before I could and now they're gone.

I don't think they died out, cause it was a huge colony with at least 5 queens. I guess they might have moved across the road to the jungle...

Anyway, part of the plant's stem was almost completely hollowed out much like the pictures you posted. I didn't know they were the ones who did it... It was pretty amazing, their hidden tunnels throughout the plant made it hard to collect them without damaging the plant, and I also spent a long time looking through cracks in the wood to observe them.

Definitely made them a species in my wishlist.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 27 2015 - 8:25 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'm gonna start anting in exotic plant nurseries. It will be like shopping! Oh, I will take one Atta colony, an Odontomachus colony, and a Dinoponera colony! :P

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted January 27 2015 - 10:20 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Any box store or plant nursery is a great place to go anting.  I know of several people who have found hitch hikers.  Usually Tapinoma or Solenopsis invicta.

I have yet to find any myself, but it isn't for the lack of trying.  I plan on hitting a massive tropical plant nursery in the big city one day.  Even if I don't find any ants, they have some beautiful plants and chances are I will come home with some.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users