• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Habitat Nest is back!!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 2:56 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It looks like Ants Canada put the Habitat Nest back in their store.  If any of you have owned one I'd love to hear your feedback about it before I spend $100+ on it.

Thanks,

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 26 2015 - 3:23 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

They work amazing, queens can go right in and they will set up a chamber, good for small species if you like seeing tunneling. The ants control the setup so it is much more natural and it comes with other stuff such as tubing and other needed items, I think they still do syringes too but I might be wrong. It doesn't mold either. It is quite big so you can also plan ahead which makes it for just starting all the way to a mature colony and it's reusable. I think that is enough to convince you. I'm honestly wanting the omni vertical more though because it's simplistic and more efficient design.

#3 Offline dean_k - Posted January 26 2015 - 3:32 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I don't have first hand experience but have watched a few Youtube videos about it. As far as I know, it's hand made by Mikey himself. <- Correct me if I am wrong.

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:10 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks for your feedback.  I didn't realize the habittat was a nest they could dig in, are you sure about that Gaige?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:13 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

They are able to customize their nest to some degree but they won't dig out of the nest, I can assure you that.

AntsCanada's youtube homepage is @ https://www.youtube....3_QqjzjCVsURNuA

Try visiting there. He has a lot of fun videos... as well as some... interesting pets...

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:20 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Yes I'm familiar with his videos, I love them!

Do you think this is a nest a founding colony can use, or would they need to go into something else until they grow into the habitat?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted January 26 2015 - 5:57 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

For a founding colony?

Most likely not. The tube + container setup will be best for your colony for a while. Don't try to relocate them. They are settled in there, so don't disturb them. Give them hot weather. That is what they probably need.

#8 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 6:00 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I'm worried about mold collecting in my tube.  The end of the cotton is turning black, and the middle is starting to turn pink.  Is that not a concern?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#9 Offline Miles - Posted January 26 2015 - 6:33 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

My habitat nest was dysfunctional and led to the death of multiple colonies. I was shocked.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 26 2015 - 7:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My habitat nest was dysfunctional and led to the death of multiple colonies. I was shocked.

It is an obsolete design, and you are warned by the word "classic", but I cannot see how it would kill ants like that... Maybe there was a flaw. What species were you keeping in there?

#11 Offline Miles - Posted January 26 2015 - 7:36 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

It was a design flaw. There was a significant gap between the glass and the nest itself. Enough for Camponotus workers and brood to get stuck in between and die.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 27 2015 - 6:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ah. Thanks for the details this time; that definitely helps. I am not down with formicariums that leave a gap between the nest and the glass/plastic. If it wasn't just a flaw in the particular one you had, then this would be a problem.

#13 Offline Miles - Posted January 27 2015 - 8:20 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

The main frustration is that the company didn't seem to care much that my ants were dying in it. So much for "Ant Love". 

I have been told that it did occur in other nests of the same design. I don't think it's consistent.

Edited by Miles, January 27 2015 - 8:20 AM.

#14 Offline InsideAntz - Posted February 5 2015 - 6:48 PM

InsideAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBensalem PA (Philadelphia)

No fan at all of the Habitat Nest - much better options out there.

#15 Offline Mercutia - Posted February 5 2015 - 9:35 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I feel like the majority of AntsCanada products are just too big for the average ant keeper. They really should offer a better variety of sizes.

• BugFinder likes this

#16 Offline Miles - Posted February 5 2015 - 9:48 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

I feel like the majority of AntsCanada products are just too big for the average ant keeper. They really should offer a better variety of sizes.

Moisture retention seems to be the most consistent complaint of AntsCanada customers.

#17 Offline dean_k - Posted February 5 2015 - 9:51 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Hard to argue with that. I have a "small' Omni nest vertical and I think it's good for 500 ants at least.

#18 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 5 2015 - 10:56 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Antscanada definitely lacks in product options. That is my biggest complaint aside from the insane prices.

#19 Offline dean_k - Posted February 6 2015 - 5:49 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I think Omni nest small -> http://antscanada.co...ldwide-shipping is better than Omni nest small vertical. I will be getting it next month for a colony I've reserved from Crystal.

It also seems to have a far better moisture since it has two long blue foam on both sides.

#20 Offline Mercutia - Posted February 6 2015 - 6:21 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Yes, I think I would have preferred the original Omni nest to the vertical.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users