• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

how to water your ants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: how to water your ants (13 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feed your colony's liquid?

1. I buy a fancy ant water feeder (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. I use a test tube plugged with coton (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. I made my own water feeder (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Other (please post what you use) (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 6 2018 - 7:31 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Hi Everyone, i have accidentally drown a half my colony by putting a test tube of honey water in there outworld. It was fine for a few days, but then it started leaking and 5 ants died in the process. This got me to thinking how do most ant keepers feed there ants liquids?

#2 Offline KBant - Posted June 6 2018 - 8:15 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I used to make some sugar water, and put a drop on aluminum foil and give it to my colonies.

But now I use a Galileo feeder by byformica
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 6 2018 - 8:19 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

While it's all a matter of convenience or personal preference, byFormica Liquid Feeders are among the most popular, economical, and easiest to use tools available for offering liquids to small or large ant colonies.  They are available in several sizes and capacities for various uses:

Micro: The smallest size, recommended for sampling a variety of liquid foods for very small colonies.

Mini: A slightly larger base makes the Mini more stable. Excellent for small and growing colonies.

Mega: Highest capacity, recommended for large colonies or extended time away from care. Low evaporation rate means water may be offered for weeks between refills.

Tall: Taller bases offer a more natural view of the ants as they drink, and even fewer opportunities for leaks.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 6 2018 - 9:23 AM.

• Enderz and FeedTheAnts like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted June 6 2018 - 10:27 AM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA

Byformica feeders all the way!

#5 Offline dermy - Posted June 6 2018 - 12:30 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I just use a simple pill container stuffed with soaked cotton and replace it when it gets dry and the ants remove the cotton.

#6 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 6 2018 - 12:43 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

how does that work out for you Dermy? doesn't the water level go below the cotton? any chance you can post a photo for me?

I'm really considering the Byformica feeders, but just haven't decided if i want to spend the (small amount) of money on water feeders

#7 Offline dermy - Posted June 6 2018 - 1:05 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

how does that work out for you Dermy? doesn't the water level go below the cotton? any chance you can post a photo for me?

It isn't like a test-tube watering device, more just a Pill bottle with wet cotton shoved in. In other words no water reservoir. When I get my next setup ready I'll share what I mean.

Also just this year for something different I used Energy Drink cans cut off the end, and stuffed with cotton/papertowel and used those to water my large Colony. Worked really well until someone messed with the colony :|

Spoiler

Edited by dermy, June 6 2018 - 1:09 PM.

#8 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 7 2018 - 4:41 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Raw honey goes on wax paper in outworld, it balls up, or a shaped foil tray with handle for test tubes.

Water is any combo of small plastic test tubes or water feeders of all designs, they are all the same, except test tubes last ages. With the fancy water feeders, you need to refill every 1-2 weeks.

Other liquids go into caps from milk containers or other things, or feeding plastic or 3D printed dishes

Also water test tube feeders act as a backup nesting space in case the main nest goes dry

Edited by CoolColJ, June 7 2018 - 4:41 PM.

• dermy likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users