• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with Myrmica colony

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ken14400 - Posted May 28 2018 - 11:13 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

So today, I just found out that my myrmica colony is starting to produce alates and I have no clue what to do with them cause I heard that they don't have to fly to mate and that they can mate inside the colony. So I'm hoping someone could give more insight into this. Thanks 

#2 Offline dermy - Posted May 28 2018 - 12:39 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

How large is this colony? Also do you have access to outsite Myrmica colonies of the same species, you can always try to get some males from an unrelated colony and see what happens when you put them together with some queens. I wouldn't put them into the nest because the workers would just kill them probably.

Assuming they don't try to fly they will likely 1- Not do anything and be like "larger workers" 2- become a burden to the colony and be killed off.

#3 Offline ken14400 - Posted May 28 2018 - 12:47 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

i think they have like over 300 workers now maybe and yes there's outside colonies but like my colony has over 15 queen already

#4 Offline dermy - Posted May 28 2018 - 12:50 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

300 workers seems a bit small to be making alates.... Are you sure these are alates, are they still in the larval stage? Or are they fully developed winged queens/males?

If it's just males I'd suspect some unfertilized eggs were laid and allowed to develop for some reason.

#5 Offline ken14400 - Posted May 28 2018 - 1:04 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

it has wings and there are some pupae the size of queens and its not the only male alate there is 

#6 Offline ken14400 - Posted May 28 2018 - 1:05 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

maybe there's 400 workers now I'm not sure but one thing for sure is there's a lot of brood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users