• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do I do with alates?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted June 2 2018 - 6:58 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I caught S. Molesta alates, 6 male and 2 female, and I'm not so sure what to do from there on. Caught them in a nuptial flight, with a net when they were flying around and stuff. What should I do with them? 

:>

#2 Offline CatLord - Posted June 6 2018 - 4:28 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationGreece-Chalkida

I mean you can maybe leave the males or put them with the 2 queens keep the 2 queens in a test tube setup and release the males outside?

#3 Offline Mortamir - Posted June 6 2018 - 5:44 AM

Mortamir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRavensdale, WA
I would feed them to another colony I have. No waste!

#4 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 6 2018 - 9:21 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Usually after a nuptial flight ends, the alates will no longer be interested in mating. I've tried breeding alates before, but it only works on the day I caught them. I'd say use them as food or release them.

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 6 2018 - 9:21 AM.

• dermy likes this

#5 Offline dermy - Posted June 6 2018 - 9:39 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I caught S. Molesta alates, 6 male and 2 female, and I'm not so sure what to do from there on. Caught them in a nuptial flight, with a net when they were flying around and stuff. What should I do with them? 

If it was anything but Solenopsis I would have recommended that you kept the queens and fed off the males but since they are fire ants I'd just feed the queens off too 3:) .

• Mortamir likes this

#6 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 6 2018 - 11:44 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

If it was anything but Solenopsis I would have recommended that you kept the queens and fed off the males but since they are fire ants I'd just feed the queens off too 3:) .

Yeah that's true, but at least these aren't Solenopsis invicta or Solenopsis geminata

• dermy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users