• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Family of Camponotus Alotus

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 30 2022 - 9:36 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I have decided to conduct an experiment with my pudorosus! Well... Actually 2! One I will do no matter what and the other I want you guys to vote on if I should do it. The first experiment is since I have 2 colonies, I want to try breeding them together and if I get 3 colonies total before any get alates I will have 3 that can mate together. I'm wanting to attempt this experiment to see if Camponotus pudorosus can actually breed in captivity and to see if pudorosus are only Polygynous or can also be Oligynous where they found together but afterwards will present aggression towards each other when in close contact, but the workers will show no to aggression to either queen. A perfect example of this is CheetoLord02's video (Novomessor showcase: cockerelli and polygynous albisetosus! - YouTube) . The second experience that I need you guys to vote on with either "Yes" or "No" is to see whether we should proceed and see if the colonies can merge and/or tolerate each other when in close proximity. If this option is chosen with more than half saying "Yes" then I will have major precautions in this. One, I will attach both or all three nests at the same time so one doesn't get more scent than the other. Two, if there's a massive amount of aggression where one starts killing the other which by that I mean more than three workers killed I will remove the intruding workers and close off the entrances and end the experiment. I want to make sure any experiments taken that are potentially dangerous like the last one have precautions in place to be taken in case if anything goes poorly and I am not doing this for gladiator fights, I just want to study these ants since it appears I'm the only one on the forum currently that owns Camponotus pudorosus.

All votes will be counted on January 31 at 8:00PM.

I vote no. I think it is to much of a risk especially for Camponotus.

Edited by antsriondel, January 30 2022 - 5:28 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#22 Offline bmb1bee - Posted January 30 2022 - 5:14 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Well, I just found a second colony of festinatus in Payson! So now we will have 2 colonies! What should we name the queens? I will post pictures when I get home.

name the second queen you have: queen scarlet.

Traitor, I'm voting for Queen Tourmaline/Ruby  :D 

(C. festinatus colors actually look more like Queen Scarlet ngl)

• Antkeeper01, antsriondel and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#23 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 30 2022 - 5:29 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Well, I just found a second colony of festinatus in Payson! So now we will have 2 colonies! What should we name the queens? I will post pictures when I get home.

name the second queen you have: queen scarlet.

Traitor, I'm voting for Queen Tourmaline/Ruby  :D 

(C. festinatus colors actually look more like Queen Scarlet ngl)

come on man, queen scarlet was awesome  :lol:

Edited by antsriondel, July 26 2022 - 4:23 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#24 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 30 2022 - 6:15 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

How about since we have 2 we name one Queen Scarlet and the other queen Tourmaline?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#25 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 30 2022 - 6:21 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Unless if there's another wings of fire suggestion lol

#26 Offline bmb1bee - Posted January 30 2022 - 6:27 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

How about since we have 2 we name one Queen Scarlet and the other queen Tourmaline?

LOL sounds good!

• antsriondel and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#27 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 30 2022 - 6:31 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

LOL sounds good!

Agreed!  :lol:

Edited by antsriondel, July 26 2022 - 4:23 PM.

• PaigeX likes this

#28 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:43 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Watch this become a Romeo Juliet Love story in the end when I try breeding the alates of both colonies...  :lol:

Edited by NicholasP, January 30 2022 - 7:43 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#29 Offline bmb1bee - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:46 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Lord Capulet Queen Scarlet does not approve of your plan...  :whistle:

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#30 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:47 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I don't read Wings of Fire so I don't understand these references  :lol:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#31 Offline bmb1bee - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:50 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Lord Capulet was a Romeo and Juliet reference lol  :lol:

#32 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 31 2022 - 6:39 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I miss my first Pogonomyrmex queen I named her Queen Scarlet :*(

• azzaaazzzz00 and antsriondel like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#33 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 31 2022 - 6:46 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

well that sucks, hope you catch more queens!!! you should check my personal journal out to see what I named my formica queen!! :)

Edited by antsriondel, July 26 2022 - 4:24 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#34 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 31 2022 - 7:04 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

well that sucks, hope you catch more queens!!! you should check my personal journal out to see what I named my formica queen!! :)

ps:it is a wings of fire reference  :lol:

yeah I have a Pogonomyrmex colony right now I named her Queen Dazzling lol

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#35 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 31 2022 - 7:14 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

ps:it is a wings of fire reference  :lol:

yeah I have a Pogonomyrmex colony right now I named her Queen Dazzling lol

haha :lol:

#36 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 31 2022 - 7:21 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Well. The results are in. Experiment number 2 will not be conducted. I do have news though. Queen Tourmaline was moved out of her balsa nest today due to a lack of workers to fill up the nest over 1/5 with workers. So, today I moved Queen Scarlet inside of Tourmaline's nest. Tourmaline was moved into a tubs and tubes setup for the time being until i can build a 3 by 3-inch nest. Queen Scarlet has a fair amount of larvae and some medium sized larvae that only need a little bit of food to be big enough to pupate. I do realize the biggest mistake that I've done with these though. I should be placing them inside of a bigger container because the lid to their current container has hinges and there's gaps in those hinges for the workers that climb past the fluon... Besides that though Queen Scarlet seems to be happy with the nest and she should easily fill up over 1/5 of the nest. I feel only a few more days and they should start taking protein. The goal for this year before a small period of hibernation at 60 degrees Fahrenheit is to get 500 workers. Let's see if we can get to those numbers this year and who will be the first to get alates!

#37 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 31 2022 - 8:59 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So... I just got home to see dozens of ants escaped. First thing I did was scream "SCARLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I knew it was Scarlet because Tourmaline was in a container setup instead of a box with hinges and so queens scarlet's worker got all over my bed any everything. In fact right as I'm typing there's a worker on the ceiling right now... I'll be right back... :mad: Ok. I got the worker back in after climbing onto my desk to reach it... :ugone2far: So as I was saying workers got all over the place... I expect to find several more. but for now I only found 20. Those darn hinges with a gap ontainers are so annoying. I don't even know how to workers got past the massive fluon barrier... If any of you guys know another way to get the fluon to work please... I beg you... let me know... Each comment on how to prevent more escapes = one saved NicholasP.  :lol:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#38 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 1 2022 - 7:01 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

So... I just got home to see dozens of ants escaped. First thing I did was scream "SCARLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I knew it was Scarlet because Tourmaline was in a container setup instead of a box with hinges and so queens scarlet's worker got all over my bed any everything. In fact right as I'm typing there's a worker on the ceiling right now... I'll be right back... :mad: Ok. I got the worker back in after climbing onto my desk to reach it... :ugone2far: So as I was saying workers got all over the place... I expect to find several more. but for now I only found 20. Those darn hinges with a gap ontainers are so annoying. I don't even know how to workers got past the massive fluon barrier... If any of you guys know another way to get the fluon to work please... I beg you... let me know... Each comment on how to prevent more escapes = one saved NicholasP.  :lol:

that sucks that they escaped I think you might have to use a different barrier, for example vaseline works very well with large species. I hope that helps a bit. oh and I love how you knew it was scarlets colony!! :lol:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#39 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 1 2022 - 7:46 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Yeah, I think Vaseline works well for Camponotus in general, I hope Queen Scarlet didn't escape! Also, I've read that Fluon works best in a 1:16 or higher ratio with water, if that helps.  :D

#40 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 1 2022 - 10:10 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Vaseline is the worst barrier used by ant keepers. Do not use it.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users