• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Family of Camponotus Alotus

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 1 2022 - 10:39 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Vaseline is the worst barrier used by ant keepers. Do not use it.

it is terrible for small species not Camponotus.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2022 - 12:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t waste time with vaseline. Figure out the humidity level in the container. It may need more ventilation for fluon to be effective.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline PaigeX - Posted February 1 2022 - 1:13 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

and if you have high temps and humidity where you live like me, throw the fluon out, it won't work xD Just use olive oil.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#44 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 1 2022 - 1:22 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Don’t waste time with vaseline. Figure out the humidity level in the container. It may need more ventilation for fluon to be effective.

The fluon has tons of ventilation. I leave the container open because the nest mate sticks up too high in the nest. So I have to fix the nest mate but also it's fairly dry in there. So I don't know what's wrong with the fluon.

Maybe because I diluted it with water or that I've had the fluon for over a year?

#45 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 1 2022 - 1:22 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I've heard that olive oil is actually a good barrier against ants, especially extra virgin. Do they dry out quickly though? I'm thinking of trying it out because it looks more transparent and unnoticable than Fluon or talcum powder.

Edited by bmb1bee, February 1 2022 - 1:22 PM.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#46 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 1 2022 - 1:25 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

The fluon has tons of ventilation. I leave the container open because the nest mate sticks up too high in the nest. So I have to fix the nest mate but also it's fairly dry in there. So I don't know what's wrong with the fluon.

Maybe because I diluted it with water or that I've had the fluon for over a year?

Yeah, I think you have to apply a new layer once every few months. It might've dried out after a year  :D

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#47 Offline PaigeX - Posted February 1 2022 - 1:33 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I've heard that olive oil is actually a good barrier against ants, especially extra virgin. Do they dry out quickly though? I'm thinking of trying it out because it looks more transparent and unnoticable than Fluon or talcum powder.

yea i use the best olive oil that's like $20 a bottle. its good stuff but it does run if you use too much. it lasts a month or more before it dries out in some places

May God Bless you.

#48 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 1 2022 - 2:08 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I used to use olive oil for 3 years. After you get larger or aggressive colonies, they will break out. Olive oil is not a barrier like fluon or talcum baby powder, as it does not make the ants fall off. I have noticed that ants will go up to it and leave it alone, unless they are aggressive. After talking to many experienced keepers, many have had olive oil just not work at all. It is also a pain to clean off, though not as horrible as vaseline. Stay away from olive oil and vaseline as barriers and stay with talcum baby powder and fluon. There is a reason that they are the best barriers.

• ANTdrew likes this

#49 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 1 2022 - 2:36 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I used to use olive oil for 3 years. After you get larger or aggressive colonies, they will break out. Olive oil is not a barrier like fluon or talcum baby powder, as it does not make the ants fall off. I have noticed that ants will go up to it and leave it alone, unless they are aggressive. After talking to many experienced keepers, many have had olive oil just not work at all. It is also a pain to clean off, though not as horrible as vaseline. Stay away from olive oil and vaseline as barriers and stay with talcum baby powder and fluon. There is a reason that they are the best barriers.

Agreed, Vaseline does NOT come off well. It also smears and fogs the glass if you touch it after applying it.

• antsriondel likes this

#50 Offline PaigeX - Posted February 1 2022 - 3:55 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I think this is best for over seas ants. As baby power and fluon just simply not work for me 90% of the time. Olive oil has keep in all my ants. While other can climb on fluon or even upside down on it. 

May God Bless you.

#51 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 1 2022 - 3:55 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Yeah, I think you have to apply a new layer once every few months. It might've dried out after a year  :D

Well what I meant is that the barrier is only a few days old. But the bottle of fluon that's diluted with water I've had for around a year. Maybe fluon expires if not used after a year?

#52 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 1 2022 - 4:30 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I think this is best for over seas ants. As baby power and fluon just simply not work for me 90% of the time. Olive oil has keep in all my ants. While other can climb on fluon or even upside down on it. 

I used to think that olive oil was a great barrier as well. This was before I got larger colonies which could easily bypass the barrier. I will never use oil again unless I cannot find fluon or talcum powder.

Edit: Nicholas, fluon gets worse when it is not disturbed (shaken) every month or so. I usually shake my 2 dram bottle every week or so to ensure that it works.

Edited by OiledOlives, February 1 2022 - 4:31 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#53 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 5 2022 - 6:22 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Queen scarlet is doing everything in her power to retaliate against me! I come back after a 4-day vacation to more escaped workers!!! Why Scarlet!!! Why do you have to put me through this pain and suffering! I give you all you can eat buffets whenever you're hungry, but you still find the need to torture me like this!? What do I have to give you to stop! Is it mealworms 10 times a day? Or... Ooh maybe aphids?! Stolen brood from Queen Tourmaline for you to rule over!? What must I give you to stop!! So... I've been having some issues with Queen Scarlet as of late... She keeps having escaped workers or everything... Well, I just wanted to update you guys about the madness Queen Scarlet is putting me through while Queen Tourmaline is being extremely kind... If anything, else goes wrong or good... Which probably won't happen. I will let you guys know! So buh bye for now!

• Antkeeper01 and antsriondel like this

#54 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 5 2022 - 6:50 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Queen scarlet is doing everything in her power to retaliate against me! I come back after a 4-day vacation to more escaped workers!!! Why Scarlet!!! Why do you have to put me through this pain and suffering! I give you all you can eat buffets whenever you're hungry, but you still find the need to torture me like this!? What do I have to give you to stop! Is it mealworms 10 times a day? Or... Ooh maybe aphids?! Stolen brood from Queen Tourmaline for you to rule over!? What must I give you to stop!! So... I've been having some issues with Queen Scarlet as of late... She keeps having escaped workers or everything... Well, I just wanted to update you guys about the madness Queen Scarlet is putting me through while Queen Tourmaline is being extremely kind... If anything, else goes wrong or good... Which probably won't happen. I will let you guys know! So buh bye for now!

wow, that's crazy, I love how these queens are just like their characters in wings of fire.

Edited by antsriondel, February 5 2022 - 6:50 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#55 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 6 2022 - 9:34 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

wow, that's crazy, I love how these queens are just like their characters in wings of fire.

Agreed, wish you luck on Queen Scarlet!

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#56 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 7 2022 - 11:58 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

At this point I feel like collecting these queens was an utter mistake. Now even tourmaline's workers managed to escape, and several died. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I need a way to prevent them from getting out of the outworld. I'm going to apply 2 more layers of fluon and if that doesn't work then I'm putting the nest inside of another container because this is getting ridiculous. I keep finding workers everywhere. Who knows if I've swallowed a worker in my sleep? Tourmaline seems to be getting physogastric at least. So hopefully she lays quickly to replenish the dead workers of the colony since they're down to around 25-30 workers now and because my patience is being stretched really thin now. no matter what though I must get them through to maturity as these 2 colonies are the only ones of the Camponotus pudorosus species I'll have when I move to Michigan.

Edited by NicholasP, February 7 2022 - 11:59 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#57 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 8 2022 - 6:06 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

A lid will be helpful in your attempts to prevent escapees.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#58 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 8 2022 - 10:44 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Plot twist, the escaped ants were not from either colony... Yes, a lid would pretty much prevent all the workers from leaving, and will be even more effective if you apply Fluon underneath it. A lid with a hatch to drop food in would work well, and something like mesh to allow air in.

• Antkeeper01, antsriondel and ColAnt735 like this

#59 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 16 2022 - 11:24 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So, here's a quick little update. I am on a short little vacation and forget to refill my pudorosus's nest mate! I hope they remain alive until I get back. They do have a water test tube though so they can probably nest in there if they can't stand so little water.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#60 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 17 2022 - 10:34 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

It depends on how long you're going to be out for. I think a couple days should be alright, they'll survive it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users