• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Practical Collection Vial Container

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 29 2018 - 3:24 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hello all,

If you are a student like myself or hold a full-time occupation that is not "professional ant-keeper", you may very likely have found yourself in the unfortunate situation where you have located a queen ant and lack the storage capacity to properly catch and contain her. You may also have simply found it inconvenient to lug around snap-cap vials with you when you take your dog for a walk, inviting odd looks from curious neighbors, in the hopes of potentially stumbling upon a queen.

A little while back, I engineered a very simple device to conceal collection vials in what I would consider a very practical manner. With an old Altoids tin that I had laying around and a sheet of felt I bought from Michaels, I developed a cushioned container to accommodate five small collection tubes. 

The construction was merely a matter of slicing up pieces of felt to the correct dimensions and gluing them to the inside of the tin. I used some spectrophotometer cuvettes that my chemistry teacher gave to me, they fit well and the caps are convenient and easy to use, but you have to buy them separately, and both in bulk. You can always go for 1-dram glass vials, although the thin, threaded neck makes it slightly difficult to fit in larger queens like Camponotus spp

Just thought this was worth sharing; it has proven to be very useful in a number of situations. Here are some pictures of one that I made for my brother. Mine is Peppermint, but he prefers Wintergreen.

09wLjRt.jpg

9PKPoYg.jpg

zVjJ6bA.jpg

5M480L4.jpg

Edited by VoidElecent, April 29 2018 - 3:31 PM.

• T.C., Scrixx, Chicken_eater100 and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 29 2018 - 3:37 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
Very nice. I’ll bet it works bette than my method. I just keep 4 or 5 test tubes in my car, and always have a snap cap vial with me.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 29 2018 - 3:43 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Haha. Too expensive for me

I just normally have about 30 small glass tubes in my pockets and a few cotton balls on me at all times. Maybe a hundred if it's a big flight

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 29 2018 - 4:00 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Haha. Too expensive for me

I just normally have about 30 small glass tubes in my pockets and a few cotton balls on me at all times. Maybe a hundred if it's a big flight

Oh, when I'm actually out anting, it's a different story. This is mainly for carrying in your backpack around campus or to keep in your jacket pocket when walking to/from the parking lot at work.

#5 Offline Nesth - Posted May 2 2018 - 8:02 AM

Nesth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I really like this idea! I can't tell you how many queens I have had to watch scurry away because I had nothing to contain them. I always seem to find queens on the rare days I don't have a collection tube nearby. 

#6 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted May 3 2018 - 2:06 PM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA
Fantastic idea! I just coincidentally happen to have an empty Altoids can in my car lol
  • VoidElecent likes this

Founding: 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x4

Camponotus Chromaiodes x4

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

#7 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted May 3 2018 - 2:12 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

This looks pretty slick. When I am in the field i usually stumble upon queens or flights when i least expect them and often sacrifice one of my nalgenes, emptying the water and putting some dirt in to absorb any excess moisture. Makes for some thirsty times when you only have 1 liter of water because your other bottle is full of ants  :facepalm: .

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#8 Offline nurbs - Posted May 3 2018 - 2:55 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Just use cosmetic containers from Amazon Void. Super cheap. Comes in a package of 50, I think. Got these years ago.

Also, when you're out in the field, the metal in the tin box will heat up fast. I've killed more than a few from the having them sit in the car for a mere 15 min because they were in the sunlight. Now I use AC or a cooler or place them in a shaded spot.

EdVAxc1l.jpg

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#9 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted May 4 2018 - 8:04 AM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

So...many...ants! AH!!!!! Those cosmetic containers are pretty slick. I have a similar item that i found at Michaels for beads.

Edit: wrong store name

Edited by IcarusSkybound, May 4 2018 - 8:05 AM.

Founding: 

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 4 2018 - 8:48 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Just use cosmetic containers from Amazon Void. Super cheap. Comes in a package of 50, I think. Got these years ago.

Also, when you're out in the field, the metal in the tin box will heat up fast. I've killed more than a few from the having them sit in the car for a mere 15 min because they were in the sunlight. Now I use AC or a cooler or place them in a shaded spot.

You're right; fortunately, it doesn't get too hot in Philadelphia so it isn't a huge factor. The cosmetic containers probably work really well, but the Altoids box contraption prioritized discretion, I suppose. :)

Edited by VoidElecent, May 4 2018 - 8:53 AM.

#11 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted May 4 2018 - 9:45 AM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

You're right; fortunately, it doesn't get too hot in Philadelphia so it isn't a huge factor. The cosmetic containers probably work really well, but the Altoids box contraption prioritized discretion, I suppose. :)

This might be a silly question, but are those vials large enough to comfortably fit large camponotus species like Pennsylvanicus or Chromaiodes?

Founding: 

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users