• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Pogonomyrmex that can't catch a break...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:02 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

What makes you think its a drone?

There's too many of them running with the pack. Saw at least 3 more when I found their trail. And their gasters aren't very big, just longer.

Edited by Foogoo, January 14 2015 - 9:03 PM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#22 Offline LAnt - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:08 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
No they're probably queens. You see them everywhere sometimes. Are you planning on keeping them?

#23 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:12 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

No they're probably queens. You see them everywhere sometimes. Are you planning on keeping them?

No, I hate them, do you want them? I would catch the rest but the poison's been set. I'm pretty sure more will invade my house anyway, and it's only January...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If they're Argentine ants, and they are winged, I think they would be males.

Yes Argentine ants can have tons of queens.

One way to tell males of most any ant species apart from the queens, is their entire head looks like it all shrunk but their eyes. Their gasters usually go to a bit of a point aiming downward too. They basically look a lot like wasps.

#25 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:45 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

If they're Argentine ants, and they are winged, I think they would be males.

Yes Argentine ants can have tons of queens.

One way to tell males of most any ant species apart from the queens, is their entire head looks like it all shrunk but their eyes. Their gasters usually go to a bit of a point aiming downward too. They basically look a lot like wasps.

They are not winged, I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I got a total of 5 though 3 are post-poison so we'll see what happens.

#26 Offline LAnt - Posted January 15 2015 - 7:17 AM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Hah, no I don't want them. they're all over my house too, but they're not as active as yours yet.

#27 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 15 2015 - 10:07 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I would take then, but they have not been introduced into Simi Valley, and I will not help them spread to Simi Valley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users