• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#101 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted March 30 2020 - 4:05 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I don’t believe I was around when you were last active. Good to meet you.

Howdy.

• AntsDakota and nabeach89 like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#102 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted March 31 2020 - 3:17 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I don't think we've met either :D  I'm in Fairfax County, Va. 

• nabeach89 likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#103 Offline nabeach89 - Posted March 31 2020 - 3:28 AM

nabeach89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Well, thank you for adding me as a friend CBlake and FTA! I am down in Virginia Beach and we just started a cold snap last night. It dropped from 70 down to 44 in a 3 hour span with wind. We are also foretasted for rain tonight. Seems like I will be waiting a bit longer for my nuptial flights. Over the past few days I have had 4 separate colonies of monomorium minimum breaking ground around my property and really putting in some good work building hills and foraging. I am keeping those nest sites as "sacred" in my yard to keep them as a gauge for their species nuptial flights. Unfortunately this morning they are not in evidence around the mounds, it is simply too cold.

• ANTdrew and Cblake113 like this

#104 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 1 2020 - 5:31 PM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.

Same here in Richmond, no activity around the mounds that I keep an eye on. Pretty new to anting myself so still gathering some equipment (tubes, etc.) so I wouldn't mind a little more time. Checking the weather it looks like its not getting warm for a while now.

I think the Govs order doesn't require people to not walk around (alone at least) so I'm not worried about that.

I live in the residential city part of Richmond. What do you all think my odds are of finding camponotus on the sidewalk or alleyways? would it be worth traveling somewhere?

• ANTdrew and nabeach89 like this

#105 Offline nabeach89 - Posted April 1 2020 - 6:05 PM

nabeach89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

RVAOsprey, I am doing my nightly walks around my neighborhood still, and I conveniently like to do my runs at a state park in Virginia beach, which is a wooded area with a plethora of tree species to scope out. As per standing state orders, these fitness activities are just fine, and I maintain my distances by a wide, wide margin. I don't want to be near folks right now in any case, not with the risk. From what I have researched online (standard caveat here; I am not an expert or experienced and this information came from the "reliable" internet outlets) that most ants in our neck of the woods prefer nuptial flights in a humid environment, especially after rain, in calm winds, and temperatures that correlate to their genetically predisposition for a "mating season". Furthermore, I am constantly reminded by any educated individual on the matter that there is a "mystery factor" involved. Because we do not know all of the minute and invisible, chemical, biological and environmental triggers and cues that initiate these eerily coordinated mass nuptial flights; we cannot ascertain the exact mechanics or timing of nuptial flights to a reliable degree. That is the "mystery factor". I would assume that the locality of your specific areas weather,  the winds, the time, the soil or substrate temps, and the time of year all have a large part in your timing.
As far as finding a specific species in your neighborhood; a lot of species have developed habits and mechanisms that adapt them to bot suburban and urban conditions. As an example, some species of carpenter ants have been found in the lumber of houses, and in the more tropical areas of the world, super-colonies (which normally would engulf 1/2 a square mile as "territory") have been found to use man-made infrastructure to "covertly" establish these same colonies in scope, but just in a different shape. What you may find in your area is entirely a mystery unless you identify active and healthy colonies near you, then you may have an idea of what to expect in the way of nuptial flights.

Is it worth traveling for? That is entirely personal. I think that I would travel a great distance for the chance at a queen of a species I desire if I had a chance. I think that one of our fellow members here can attest to that. That is because I have a distinct passion for this, and have for a long time. Because of my military duty and deployments, I have waited 3 years to even start making attempts. Even when there is no chance of me finding a queen on any given night, or when I am walking through a wal-mart parking lot on a frigid windy day, I am still looking down; All of this because there is a slight (sometimes so slight it can't be quantified by numbers) chance I may find a queen. Because for me, it is worth it. If it means a 4 hour hike in a forest I drove 2 hours to get too, and that means a chance, then I will go. Worst case scenario I put a good walk in. Best case scenario, I luck out and actually find a queen.

Very long winded concept short; There is no way to really quantify your odds on timing or specific weather, and most ant species have adapted to urban life in one way or another. Also; it is always worth it if you have a passion for this, and have the bandwidth to dedicate to it.

• ANTdrew likes this

#106 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2020 - 6:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome, fellow Virginian. You could certainly find Camponotus in Richmond, but you’d want to look in areas that have a lot native trees and hopefully dead tree snags, too. There must be some wooded bike trails or nature centers that would fit this description.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#107 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 6:07 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Same here in Richmond, no activity around the mounds that I keep an eye on. Pretty new to anting myself so still gathering some equipment (tubes, etc.) so I wouldn't mind a little more time. Checking the weather it looks like its not getting warm for a while now.

I think the Govs order doesn't require people to not walk around (alone at least) so I'm not worried about that.

I live in the residential city part of Richmond. What do you all think my odds are of finding camponotus on the sidewalk or alleyways? would it be worth traveling somewhere?

You absolutely can find them in residential areas. Your best bet would be to look near whatever is the most heavily wooded area this could even mean a parking lot with large landscaped trees and/or an undeveloped lot with wood, rocks, and tall grass. Whatever you do, if your in the market for Camponotus specifically, then your best bet would be to search after 7pm or even into the night.

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#108 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 2 2020 - 12:05 PM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.

Thanks for the great tips guys! Good to know I won't be relegated to searching local forests. Richmond has a surprising amount of foliage around the residential blocks so I'll probably keep up my noon walks around town it sounds like. Also based on this I think I can start visiting a local park area after work hours, if you have luck towards the night that helps a lot for my schedule, I can add some time on there.

I'm aiming for Camponotus due to their larger size helping with visibility and general handling as a newbie, also I like how they look. Good point @nabeach89 regarding the unpredictable element, nothing for it but to keep getting out there.

• FeedTheAnts, ANTdrew and nabeach89 like this

#109 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 2:57 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Another thing you can do, if this temporary forced isolation is an issue, is to use a blacklight and a sheet. They come to you if they're flying and you don't have to be around people.

• nabeach89 likes this

Keeps:

#110 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Another thing you can do, if this temporary forced isolation is an issue, is to use a blacklight and a sheet. They come to you if they're flying and you don't have to be around people.

I’ll definitely be trying this. Does this work for Camponotus? Have you found anything, VB? Squat diddly for me here in Alexandria.
  • nabeach89 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#111 Offline nabeach89 - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:43 AM

nabeach89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Virginia beach is quiet right now in the way of ants. The colonies of Monomorium minimum I found has receded back underground in light of the cold snap. The wind has been brisk and constant, and we won't break 65 till Tuesday (a day I work- Ugh!). Right now I am thinking I don't have any real chances till later next week.

#112 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 9:34 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I’ll definitely be trying this. Does this work for Camponotus? Have you found anything, VB? Squat diddly for me here in Alexandria.

Surprisingly, with the blacklight I've gotten A LOT of Prenolepsis imparis queens and males (you just have to do it in the afternoon, which is weird for most people cause you don't normally do that in the day), I've also gotten Camponotus americana, pennsylvanicus., and chrom. and surprisingly I've also gotten 3 tetramorium queens and 2 males, which is weird cause it's not quite their season.

Keeps:

#113 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 3 2020 - 11:02 AM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.

We are looking at 2 days chance of rain in the low 80s on Monday/Tuesday and then low 80s on Wednesday in Richmond. All high humidity, so I'm hoping that Wednesday could be promising. I've seen pictures of that blacklight setup but not looked into it. I'm not too sure how blacklights work and their insect relationship. Does the light have to be a true UV light, like the ones for killing germs, or does a cheap bulb work.

#114 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 11:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ants are naturally attracted to UV light. When lights are shone, queens and other insects will naturally fly towards them, allowing you to capture them. I believe any bulb would work, as long as it emits UV light.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#115 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 11:30 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I use a new mosquito zapper with the blacklight and took apart the shell and zapping parts so now it's just the blacklight. It's a very powerful bulb, so it spreads out over a larger area, attracting more insects. 

Keeps:

#116 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 3 2020 - 3:03 PM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.
I actually tried to do the same but nowhere I checked had them. Ended up getting a full spectrum light for general use after this and also a UV only light, so let’s see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#117 Offline Cblake113 - Posted April 6 2020 - 5:31 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Today I rolled a log in a mixed hard woods while relining a trail at work. I found a lone camponotus chromaiodes queen! It was about 10:00am and temps were around 62 degrees. Just thought I would share!

Attached Images

• 20200406_165022.jpg

• FeedTheAnts, VenomousBeast, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#118 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 8 2020 - 7:31 AM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.
Wow nice find! You your all’s experience is it more often you find them under the log or inside it?

• Cblake113 likes this

#119 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2020 - 8:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Neither. I find them either just landing or scuttling about later without wings.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#120 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 8 2020 - 8:10 AM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.
Interesting. I would imagine that would be on a day with more ideal flight conditions? He notes 10am and low 60s, so likely this one he’s gotten flew on a better day and now is starting to make a chamber as conditions aren’t typical for flight. Am I way off base here?

• Cblake113 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users