• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen with wings in Florida (and ID)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fightingbuddha - Posted April 11 2018 - 12:38 PM

fightingbuddha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all, first post and first (maybe) queen.
I have been out walking around the past few days scanning for queens on sidewalks and have found a few that got away. Today I was out and found a queen with her wings still on being blown across the sidewalk. Out of excitementment I put her in the test tube setup I had in my pocket.

The conditions here have been great, heavy storms a day or two ago and lots of heat and humidity. However I do know that it is unlikely that a queen with wings is fertile. Is there any knwoledge you all can share?

If there is no possibillity she is fertile I would like tp release her today while (hopefully) males are still flying.

Oh and might anyone be able to ID her for me?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yV7oxaq
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/VQcVcfN

thank you!

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted April 11 2018 - 12:59 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
It's not a queen. It's a male.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 11 2018 - 1:17 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Pictures aren't working for me.

#4 Offline Mortamir - Posted April 11 2018 - 1:20 PM

Mortamir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRavensdale, WA
Generally you can tell it's a Male just by looking at the head size, they are very small. Since you haven't caught a queen before you don't have anything to compare it to. Google some pics and check out the difference before you go out again. There are other things that are different as well but usually this is the easiest to spot. Another thing to note is that since the males are out the females might be too, or pretty soon anyways.
Meow

#5 Offline fightingbuddha - Posted April 11 2018 - 1:23 PM

fightingbuddha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Wowww. I saw the big middle section and thought queen. Pretty embarrassing first post.l, back outside it goes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users