• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Doleromyrma sp. ant doing hamster wheels circles in test tube...

doleromyrma weird strange

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline CoolColJ - Posted March 30 2018 - 1:38 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I added a new smaller plastic test tube into the Doleromyrma sp. container today.

This used to be a water feeding test tube for another outworld,  but as the water levels got lower, I pushed the cotton dam further downwards.

Anyway ever since this has been installed, there has been a constant stream of workers entering and doing hamster wheel circles near the cotton dam!

There are always at least two workers doing hamster wheel circles in there....sometimes a third joins in, and when one leaves, another is always there to fill the spot.... very strange....

have no idea why they are doing this!

I guess that's how they get their daily exercise :P

Considering this was a wild colony a week ago that I found under some wood chips in my front yard, also makes it even more weird.

I also dropped a bunch of Pheidole brood in front of their test tube nest, which the workers have dumped in a small pile in the front part of their nest.

You can see it in the above video, at 0:43 a worker is dragging one in at the bottom left

I still don't know what they like to eat, but this is one way to get them some protein....

I know the workers will take some raw honey, but they haven't since the first time.
Nope to sugar water, meat, raw nuts, grape, dead baby cockroach...

They have a lot of brood, so I expected them to be eager for food, but some workers have fully loaded gasters.

Edited by CoolColJ, March 30 2018 - 1:40 AM.

• LC3 likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: doleromyrma, weird, strange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users