• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan Anting

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 16 2020 - 7:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I found Prenolepis last year, but I found a Ponera queen this year. Sorry for the confusion. I saw the Ponera part of the post and I was like "I caught one too!" I didn't read the rest of it.  :D

• AntsDakota likes this

#62 Offline AntJohnny - Posted May 16 2020 - 9:07 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.

I just caught one today.

Nice. These are actually quite common around here.
Oh, I meant Ponera, not Prenolepis, sorry. I've only found Prenolepis in one place, and one place only. They're not common around here.

Lol I was thinking I just have horrible Pernelapis luck lol
  • AntsDakota likes this

#63 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 16 2020 - 9:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They seem to be very picky about habitat.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#64 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 16 2020 - 9:39 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I haven't located any wild colonies, but I found 3 alates last year. (4 including the male that mated with one of them).

• AntsDakota likes this

#65 Offline Peanutty - Posted May 21 2020 - 6:30 AM

Peanutty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Last year I caught 13 prenolepis but a few weren’t fertile. I eventually just had a colony of 6 queens but within a few months they killed each other until there were only 2 left. Sadly that colony didn’t survive hibernation

#66 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 26 2020 - 4:41 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Aphaenogaster later this year - colonies have alate larvae.

#67 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted July 8 2020 - 7:41 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I saw these looking like they wanted to fly this evening but then all went back inside?IMG_20200708_182854490_resize_56.jpg

#68 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 9 2020 - 4:31 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

They do that sometimes.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#69 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 9 2020 - 6:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I saw these looking like they wanted to fly this evening but then all went back inside? IMG_20200708_182854490_resize_56.jpg

Is that parasitic Formica?

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 9 2020 - 6:35 AM.

#70 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 9 2020 - 9:13 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Alates seem to enjoy teasing antkeepers by all coming out like they are going to fly, but instead just go back inside the nest, and especially when you can only be in that place for a certain amount of time.

Just kidding. They only do that to judge the weather conditions, and if they arent perfect, they won't fly. It does mean, however, that they will fly soon.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#71 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 3 2020 - 9:29 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Aphaenogaster and Lasius have nuptials in their nests.

#72 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 3 2020 - 12:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I saw these looking like they wanted to fly this evening but then all went back inside?attachicon.gifIMG_20200708_182854490_resize_56.jpg

The alates are testing the weather to see if it's suitable to fly. They went back in because they either didn't like the conditions or didn't like you standing by their nest. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#73 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 17 2020 - 10:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I have found many Aphaenogaster dealates under rocks lately. The colonies still have alates in the nest so I would expect many more still to come.
  • ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#74 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 26 2020 - 11:56 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
A couple days ago there were Crematogaster queens along the beach getting ready to fly, but I didn’t find any dealates later that day. I did find a Formica dealate wandering around yesterday, though. I caught her too. The Aphaenogaster queen I kept laid eggs surprisingly.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#75 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 27 2020 - 11:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Ponera are now flying and have flown.
  • DerkaDoesGaming and Antkeeper01 like this

#76 Offline DerkaDoesGaming - Posted August 27 2020 - 5:51 PM

DerkaDoesGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Grand Rapids MI Here! Just caught 4 Crematogaster Sp. Queens yesterday on my back porch. Labor Day coming up those Labor Day ants will be flying soon! So excited! 

Formicast Website! Check it out HERE

#77 Offline DerkaDoesGaming - Posted August 27 2020 - 5:57 PM

DerkaDoesGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

In Michigan? What other name do they go by? Tooth Ants?

#78 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 27 2020 - 6:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I’ve never heard of a common name for Ponera. I always just called them Ponera because the name is relatively short compared to many other taxonomic names.

#79 Offline DerkaDoesGaming - Posted August 28 2020 - 6:13 AM

DerkaDoesGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

I’ve never heard of a common name for Ponera. I always just called them Ponera because the name is relatively short compared to many other taxonomic names.

They look interesting. Aren't the workers like blind or something? And they burrow under ground? How would I find one of their queens?

#80 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 28 2020 - 6:45 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

They look interesting. Aren't the workers like blind or something? And they burrow under ground? How would I find one of their queens?
I have only found queens under rocks so far. They are quite common but are really small so they may be hard to find. I find colonies under wood rocks, and moss. Queens will be much easier to find now, and they are polygynous so I suggest combining the queens in a test tube or Petri dish that has dirt in it. They cannot climb smooth surfaces or walk well on plastic so make sure to have dirt in their set up so that they can actually walk around. They are semi-claustral and will require food. Large insect parts work, but small insects such as springtails or fruit flies would be preferable. You can put live springtails or fruit flies in their set up and watch them hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users