• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado Anting Thread

colorado anting get together

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Offline smares - Posted June 9 2018 - 11:50 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

does anyone hunt in the evening or night?

#42 Offline Maxelite457 - Posted June 9 2018 - 1:28 PM

Maxelite457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm really new to this but I'm interested in founding my own colony. I live in Highlands Ranch, Colorado and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on where to find queens because I have gone out and looked along sidewalks a few times but have found nothing.

• Waganga likes this

#43 Offline Waganga - Posted June 9 2018 - 2:32 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

I'm really new to this but I'm interested in founding my own colony. I live in Highlands Ranch, Colorado and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on where to find queens because I have gone out and looked along sidewalks a few times but have found nothing.

Welcome to the hobby! I'm new this year too... I was really frustrated when I started researching how to find queens, and everything/everyone just said I'd find them all over if I just started looking. My husband and I went walking along the Platte river a few times and I never found anything! BUT starting at the end of last month, I started finding queens! In fact, ALL 6 of the queens I've caught this year I caught in my own front and back yard. :) I've been having good luck getting up kinda early (6-7am) and looking for queens outside on my own patio, and also checking around on my own patio from 3pm to 5pm. I gather that most flights take place during the night time, so mornings are usually best? Queens are very easy to see on flat, plain surfaces like concrete, even for small species like pavement ants.

Are you fairly near Chatfield? That seems like a good place to go for an early morning walk and look for queens!  

#44 Offline Maxelite457 - Posted June 9 2018 - 2:43 PM

Maxelite457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Welcome to the hobby! I'm new this year too... I was really frustrated when I started researching how to find queens, and everything/everyone just said I'd find them all over if I just started looking. My husband and I went walking along the Platte river a few times and I never found anything! BUT starting at the end of last month, I started finding queens! In fact, ALL 6 of the queens I've caught this year I caught in my own front and back yard. :) I've been having good luck getting up kinda early (6-7am) and looking for queens outside on my own patio, and also checking around on my own patio from 3pm to 5pm. I gather that most flights take place during the night time, so mornings are usually best? Queens are very easy to see on flat, plain surfaces like concrete, even for small species like pavement ants.

Are you fairly near Chatfield? That seems like a good place to go for an early morning walk and look for queens!  

I do live near chatfield so I might check it out sometimes. thanks for the advice

#45 Offline smares - Posted June 10 2018 - 6:20 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

This morning I finally found some queens! 4 Tetramorium (...I think) and 1 possible Ponera (It is very small ~3 mm, slender gaster so not claustral, has wings still, I can't get a good pic)

Anyway how long does it take for the queens to settle down? Is complete darkness necessary? They don't have complete darkness at the moment but it is pretty dark. As a relatively new ant keeper I have the overwhelming desire to stare at them for a bit every day. Is Tetramorium resilient enough for this?

#46 Offline Waganga - Posted June 10 2018 - 10:49 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Congrats! I also caught another Tet queen today, inside my workplace even. :)

I've left my Tetramorium queens out with no problems so far. Other than the one I just caught today, they are all happily laying eggs, despite being in the light. Two started laying eggs within a day, and the third started laying eggs within 2-3 days.

Not sure about the other species. When in luck, baby them?

Best Buy sells a decent Insignia brand set of clip on smartphone camera lenses, and I've found their macro lens works well enough to get decent pictures. Would be really interested to see that Ponera queen!

#47 Offline smares - Posted June 13 2018 - 5:08 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Tetramorium queen in hand sculpted ant nesting chamber: Miserable, just tries to chew her way out, wings on for days.

Tetramorium queen in dirt: Rips wings off immediately, makes nest, ready to get this party started!

• Waganga likes this

#48 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 14 2018 - 4:46 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Tetramorium Time

Ya' know the drill. Checking in with the neighbors cat this morning:

Noticed some movement and wouldn't ya' know, tet-queen:

Went over and looked at the colony, yup, confirmed! They were flyin', which I still find absolutely terrifying, and doin'' their thing. Alllllll over the place.

Checked in at the colony at work and while they are out'n'about, didn't see any queens.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#49 Offline piratechef - Posted June 14 2018 - 3:26 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

Edited by piratechef, June 14 2018 - 3:40 PM.

#50 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 15 2018 - 5:24 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Tetramorium everywhere!

Checked the spot at work ~10 minutes ago. The entire concrete slab was covered in them. Can't see crap in the photo but you get the idea where I found em:

This one didn't want to go quietly:

While this one was cooperating:

But these were doin'' just fine:

No cat tax this time. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#51 Offline Waganga - Posted June 15 2018 - 7:11 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I've got 7 Tets so far, but I think one is infertile..

I'm probably not going to want to keep them all, so HMU if anybody wants one!

My husband keeps telling me "Guess what I saw today! An ant queen!" and then telling me he didn't collect it for me because I already "have too many" pavement ant queens.  :lol:

• sgheaton likes this

#52 Offline Jake - Posted June 15 2018 - 2:32 PM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Hows everyones queen catchin going? I found one in my apartment today! It just rained here in colorado springs. Hope to find some :D

#53 Offline smares - Posted June 15 2018 - 4:32 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

I think I have enough tets, can't wait to see their colony's...now to find some Pogonomyrmex or anything else really. 

Waganga: lol you can never have enough!

#54 Offline smares - Posted June 15 2018 - 4:35 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

The tiny heads on male tets looks so silly. kinda like these guys from super mario brothers.

Super-Mario-BluRay.jpg

#55 Offline Jake - Posted June 15 2018 - 5:02 PM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

I think I have enough tets, can't wait to see their colony's...now to find some Pogonomyrmex or anything else really. 

Waganga: lol you can never have enough!

Mine was ID'd as an Formica cf. pallidefulva

• smares likes this

#56 Offline Jake - Posted June 15 2018 - 5:50 PM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Also just walked the dog and found a small red queen too :D

#57 Offline smares - Posted June 15 2018 - 6:10 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

whaaat?!!   lets see!

#58 Offline Jake - Posted June 15 2018 - 6:39 PM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Sorry for the bad pic,

she's tinyyyyy maybe 3 to 4 mm if that... lol

2m6qscy.jpg

#59 Offline smares - Posted June 16 2018 - 9:05 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

nice find! that is actually a pretty good pic of something so small. I just ordered a lens for my phone. Any idea what she is?  Pheidole maybe?

#60 Offline Jake - Posted June 16 2018 - 9:13 AM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Nice! I hope so hahaha we will see if she lays any eggs haha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colorado, anting, get together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users