• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado Anting Thread

colorado anting get together

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 11 2018 - 8:51 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Rains this weekend!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#22 Offline piratechef - Posted May 11 2018 - 3:31 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

The heat seems right also, I have seen lots of activity these last few days, nothing in terms of drones, but lots of foraging and new nests popping up. Hopefully i can find where all these damn Camponotus are flying.

#23 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 15 2018 - 8:51 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Heh...JUST found a scouting party in a bathroom at work. 

Edited by sgheaton, May 15 2018 - 8:51 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#24 Offline Waganga - Posted May 15 2018 - 2:58 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

That's a pretty good picture for a fast snap! Are they scouting for food, most likely? 

Noob question: Morning forecast had a rainy evening scheduled, but now it's saying high humidity and warm, but no rain. Would tonight be a good night to attempt a blacklight trap?  :thinking:  

#25 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 16 2018 - 4:52 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

It's a freaggin' curse now. Darn Ant Sense goes off all the time. The facilities manager was all, "Gosh darnet you know how many times we'ved sprayed there?! Gonna put down some poison and caulk it." 

Groud/foundation, ants. Ya' know the story. 

When its.... I forget...like 65+ degrees when I drive to work in the morning, that's when I'll be expecting to find things. Temperature is really just the final component at this point in my opinion. 

#26 Offline smares - Posted May 29 2018 - 9:31 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
I caught a wasp the other day. I thought it was a queen. We'll just call it a practice run.
  • sgheaton likes this

#27 Offline Waganga - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:33 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I've caught two queens so far this season! Both of them appear to be either C. decipiens or C. vicinus, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Both of them were even on my property, I didn't have to go hunting!  :D

I caught the first one back on 5/11, but the 2nd one today 5/30. I didn't mention the first here because I thought it had traveled up from Texas on a plant I bought at Home Depot. But, since I found another queen just like the first today, best I can figure is that they're both a local species.

#28 Offline Dethundrel - Posted June 3 2018 - 2:17 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
Had some really good hard rain for several hours in Grand Junction today. Got a good feeling things will be flying in the next day or two!

#29 Offline smares - Posted June 3 2018 - 5:32 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Saw my first alate today. Pity she was dead. A pavement ant was dragging her away...

#30 Offline Dethundrel - Posted June 4 2018 - 5:33 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
Componotus Ants are getting ready to fly tonight. All sites I checked are already sending out males as of 7 pm and they are flying off. Females haven’t quite taken off yet but probly will soon.

#31 Offline smares - Posted June 4 2018 - 5:43 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I'll be sure to look around in the morning. Thanks for the update!

#32 Offline ACaseoftheMondays - Posted June 6 2018 - 12:03 PM

ACaseoftheMondays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Found this lone queen running across a sidewalk this morning. Appears to be Tetramorium. Wouldn't be surprised if she were infertile, as there were no others to be seen anywhere.

HJJBGY1.jpg

5Ry9vQm.jpg

#33 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 6 2018 - 12:28 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Found a dozen Tet-Alates yesterday. 

Some L. Flavus  activity in a Lavender plant but nothing else from that species yet. 

Sadly the Pogonomyrmex mounds are lower than I would have guessed for this time of year, but still fairly easy to find in the fields. 

And the Solenopsis Molesta will find me...... 

#34 Offline smares - Posted June 7 2018 - 7:58 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Things I found today at a local park in Lakewood.

Habitat: Oak and tall grass. Many fallen trees. Has a small pond and a stream running through it.

none were found flying. no wings. Some seen running across the sidewalk so might be workers, some found under fallen trees.

Just generically wondering if any are possible queens and sharing local finds.

seen running across pavment.

S20180607 0019

Smallest of the bunch. looks like one of those vampire ants.

S20180607 0028

Big, maybe componautous. very angry, tried to bite and sting a lot.
S20180607 0016
S20180607 0010

Found in leaf litter. very tricky to catch
20180607 195945

blocky. striped abdomen
20180607 200100

Termites!
S20180607 0020

pseudoscorpion!!! never thought I'd see one of these outside of a book!
S20180607 0012

Edited by smares, June 7 2018 - 8:02 PM.

• sgheaton likes this

#35 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 8 2018 - 4:40 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Excellent finds! Xzero has been hunting for "whatever species of vampire ants" without success I think. 

Cross the path of 2 tetramorium queens this morning is trivial in comparison!

Are you planning on raising everything? I'd be really excited for a journal with pictures!

#36 Offline smares - Posted June 8 2018 - 6:39 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

So they look female?  I'm pretty sure 2 of them are queens. I am definitely going to raise them.

#37 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 8 2018 - 8:49 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I have NO idea. The only ant I know some stuff about is the Tetramorium, and even then I get somethings wrong. I'll almost always defer to someone else. I'm secretly hoping that they are so you'll create a journal for them. Fingers crossed! 

• smares likes this

#38 Offline Waganga - Posted June 8 2018 - 10:27 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

sgheaton be like JOURNAL ALL THE THINGS

I don't know that any of them look like queens to me... I feel like queens have a pretty distinctive body type, with their giant weird humpback look compared to other castes. Maybe post pictures with more of a profile shot? I still have a really hard time differentiating species, but I have no problem knowing if what I am looking at is a queen ant or just a regular ant. I even think I caught a Tetramorium male a few nights before I found my Tet queens! That was cool.

Idk about the termite... But that pseudoscorpion is hekken neato. I'd probably keep that just because he looks BA.  :D

Edited by Waganga, June 8 2018 - 10:28 AM.

• smares likes this

#39 Offline smares - Posted June 8 2018 - 10:57 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Dang!  thanks all! 

#40 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 8 2018 - 11:10 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Its the main reason I come to this site! I really enjoy seeing pictures of species I don't come across, peoples set ups, and formicariums. They have severely dropped off as of late and its a bit of a bummer... ...I haven't updated mine in 2 months so I can't say diarrhea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colorado, anting, get together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users