• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants found during febuary in Colorado

febuary febuary ants ants in febuary colorado ants ants in colorado camponotus prenolepis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 2 2018 - 7:28 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado

Hey guys,

I was wondering what ants fly during February in Colorado.

I was also wondering the best places/techniques to catch Camponotus and Prenolepis imparis.

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 8 2018 - 10:33 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Maybeee prenolepis, not sure about Colorado weather, but they have flown here in SF Bay Area already. First day within two degrees of 70 fahrenheit is usually when they fly. You can see males weeks before queens, then one day you will see nearly twice times as many as before, and that's when they will fly. Could be anywhere from February to April. Check near areas where males are swarming, and look on the ground. I also found a few in pools, but ground works a lot better, as they have a lower mortality rate (for me) and seem to drop their wings more than those found in pools. Wings aren't necessarily a good indicator of fertile/infertile, but it's something, and later in the queen's life, they can pose some problems, like getting stuck, tripping, and more.

As for camponotus, look at night during heatwaves and such. I believe nights above/around 70 work best for finding them, as they are all out during that time looking for a place to start a colony. They can be found from March to July ish, depending on what part of the state you live in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Colorado has multiple reigons; mountain, grassland, etc., so just keep an eye on the weather and look for those temps.

Edited by YsTheAnt, February 8 2018 - 10:35 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline piratechef - Posted February 8 2018 - 11:08 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

I would venture to say that with the snow last week and the snow coming on sat. that we won't have any flights in Feb. Also have been told that prenolepis flies on the western slope. Haven t been able to find any specimens or locations suitable on the eastern yet. Ill be venturing up the mountains starting in march though, the first 70 degree day I'm taking off work. I really want an Imparis this year.

#4 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 9 2018 - 1:48 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

what, where i am it has only snowed 4 times

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

#5 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 9 2018 - 1:50 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

does imparis even fly in Colorado

#6 Offline Derpy - Posted February 9 2018 - 3:43 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Yeah, I believe so.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: febuary, febuary ants, ants in febuary, colorado ants, ants in colorado, camponotus, prenolepis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users