• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dropped an ant setup help ASAP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 1 2018 - 5:59 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Okay so as I was getting up from my ant desk, my foot snagged on the heat cable and took one of my colonies with it. It was my 5 worker Formica subsericea colony. The outworld disconnected and the setup landed upside-down. No ants escaped, and I plugged the exit. One of the workers was crushed by a mealworm they had dragged into the nest, and the brood is scattered, but I think the queen and 4 workers are okay. A bit dazed, but okay.

What is the best course of action here? HELP!!

EDIT: The fifth worker is actually okay. It was just more dazed than the others. They've collected one or two of the scattered brood. Hopefully they collect more. I've attached a test tube setup and am trying to get them to move into that.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, February 1 2018 - 6:16 AM.

#2 Offline Hunter - Posted February 1 2018 - 6:32 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

i would just reconnect everything and keep an eye on the queen

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline dermy - Posted February 1 2018 - 11:48 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sounds like a colony of 5 workers and a queen shouldn't be out of a test-tube setup anyway. I think it probably scared them more than anything and if you keep them undisturbed for awhile they should be back to normal and get the brood all re-organized again.

#4 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted February 1 2018 - 2:42 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Depending on the species, normally you would go to about 20-50+ workers before moving to an outworld. Not sure why you are forcing it so soon?

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users