• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stick insect and ant symbiotic relationship

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zakeal - Posted January 31 2018 - 7:57 PM

Zakeal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK

I saw this video the other day and it made me very curious, would it be possible to set up this kind of ecosystem in a captive environment?

I couldn't find much information on the species in the video but found a related paper which I can't access unfortunately. I'm interested to know whether this behaviour is limited to the species in the video or whether one could replicate the same behaviour with other species.

I love to know some thoughts and opinions, I'm still very much a beginner with ant keeping!

UK based beginner. Ask me about my adorable Lasius Niger colony!

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted January 31 2018 - 9:51 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

The species featured in the video is Extatosoma tiaratum, also known as the spiny leaf insect or giant prickly stick insect. The ant species in the video is Rhytidoponera metallica (same one in the paper), a common ponerine ant found in Australia. According to the paper the "capitulum" AKA what they're using to refer to as the little nub on the end of the egg has evolved to exploit the ants the same way as elaiosomes (little packets of protein and fat) on plant seeds do.   

This form of dispersal is called myrmecochory.

A full list of plant species that use myrmecochory can be found in this paper.

We found that myrmecochory is present in at least 11 000 species or 4.5% of all species, in 334 genera or 2.5% of all genera and in 77 families or 17% of all families of angiosperm plants. We identified at least 101, but possibly up to 147, independent origins of myrmecochory. We estimated three or more origins in 13 families and found that at least half the genera are myrmecochorous in 10 families. Most myrmecochorous lineages were Australian, South African or northern temperate (Holarctic).

From the looks of it, a wide variety of stick insects also exploit ants this way given the abundance of capitulums on stick insect eggs and a few other studies. As for creating this ecosystem in a captive environment, I certainly think it's doable. E. tiaratum is common and pretty popular in captivity, R. metallica is also a fairly abundant ant. Given that you manage to provide the space and resources needed for both parties.

I don't think you can replicate this with other species, this is a case of co-evolution, so you'll have the most success if you can pair up species with their respective counterpart. For example North American Aphaenogaster and trillium seeds, where Aphaenogaster is pretty much the only means of dispersal (Other ants can't get the job done). Likewise stick insects probably rely on a few or certain species of ants to disperse their young.

Edited by LC3, January 31 2018 - 9:59 PM.

• drtrmiller, Martialis and Zakeal like this

#3 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted February 1 2018 - 12:22 AM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Are you interested in observing the interaction in the video, specifically, or are you just interested in watching ants interact with other organisms?

If it's the latter, myrmecophilous interactors can be found just about anywhere. It would be helpful to know where you are, geographically--at least in a general sense. That is, are you writing us from North America or Australia, etc.?

If you live somewhere green and want something easy, try to find aphids that are tended by ants. In myrmecophilous aphids, the ants protect the aphids from predators and parasitoids, and in return, the ants are rewarded with nutrient rich excretions from the aphids. They also use aphids as a source of protein when needed. Look on stems of flowering plants during the summer; you'll likely see the ants first, so just follow their trails. 

All that's to say ants farm aphids, and they're pretty easy to find. I work in Washington and Oregon, and I see this interaction from the Olympic Peninsula to the Oregon high desert and everywhere in between.

Aphids are super easy to keep. The only downside is, well, aphids. Ick. But it's fun to watch.

Lycaenid and riodinid larvae are also tended by ants, as well as hemipterans and certain families of beetles, but many myrmecophilous butterfly populations are at-risk or otherwise sensitive, and the latter can be tricky to find and care for, but I say the sky's the limit if you're curious enough. If you want to write the book on rove beetle ecology, I say go for it.

• drtrmiller, LC3 and Zakeal like this

#4 Offline Zakeal - Posted February 1 2018 - 8:33 AM

Zakeal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK

Wow thanks guys, I'd love to be able to identify species like that from sight! Amazing.

Myrmecochory is fascinating and it would be wonderful to have a colony that employs it at some point but it looks like those ant species are a bit out of my comfort zone for now (still getting to grips with local species). 

I live in the UK at the moment and have but a small Lasius Niger colony that is still test tube based. Looking to build an interesting outworld; having some form of myrmecophily would be incredible. I love all creepy crawlies so aphids is definitely something I'll look into thank you.

Going to have a look at Lasius Niger interactions, is there any interesting ones that people know of? The weirder the better, and hey, I might get round to writing that book on rove beetle ecology  ;)

UK based beginner. Ask me about my adorable Lasius Niger colony!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users