• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AnthonyP163's Formica sp. Journal

formica formica subaenescens

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted February 2 2020 - 10:51 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

2-2-20

The Formica subsericea are doing great, their brood is growing and they are healthy. The Formica dulotic/parasitic queen has growing brood as well but not as much.

Here's pictures from a few days back.

dulotic/parasitic colony:

Formica subsericea colony:

• rbarreto likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#22 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 2 2020 - 12:43 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I just took my formica out today, filled em up on sugar water, hope they do good this year got 2 species, subsericea and incerta

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#23 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted February 21 2020 - 7:28 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

2-21-20

The Formica subsericea have gotten about a dozen workers and have a ton of pupae. It is a huge amount for a queen that I caught just last summer. 

The Formica parasite has gotten more larvae and has a pupae. I do think her workers are actually doing work and caring for brood so she might just be a parasite. As soon as a worker dies I will determine the species.

Here's the subsericea colony

Here's the parasite colony. Notice in the second picture the parasitic worker is grabbing some eggs and caring for them. 

• rbarreto, AntsBC, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#24 Offline AntsBC - Posted February 22 2020 - 10:23 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Both of the parasitic queens you caught in this journal are slave raiders.  Whether or not the alive one is facultative; I do not know.  Multiple ant keepers (example) have noticed Formica pergandei queens produce a smaller, care taking caste in the first few generations; maybe that is what is going on here. 

I have a hypothesis that the facultative vs. obligate argument is actually more of a regional specificity then a species thing.  On Formica pergandei's wiki page, AntWiki does claim that all member species of the F. sanguinea group are facultative.  The citation for this statement is not clear, but it is possible that it was James Trager who wrote that, as his citation is listed on the paragraph below.

Edited by AntsBC, February 22 2020 - 10:25 AM.

• AnthonyP163 and ANTdrew like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 22 2020 - 3:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

And I'm assuming these slave raiders can at least get along without hosts? Otherwise Anthony here is going to have his hands full once the hosts die off.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 22 2020 - 5:11 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have a founding Formica Subsericea queen (I think that's how you spell it) and was wondering if you had any advice Anthony. Anything is appreciated! Thank you! 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#27 Online Nare - Posted February 22 2020 - 5:37 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

And I'm assuming these slave raiders can at least get along without hosts? Otherwise Anthony here is going to have his hands full once the hosts die off.

As far as I understand, it's complicated.

Some species in the same group as this species can do just fine without a constant supply of host workers. Take F. aserva, which, I've heard, has been found to be able to found with hosts and then do fine later on without them once the colony has been established. However, in certain regions, aserva have been found to be able to found without any hosts at all, in a semi-claustral manner. This lends credence to ABC's theory that facultative / obligate founding varies depending on geographical location.

From what I've heard, the only species in this group that has been proven to be an obligate slave raider, meaning they cannot survive without regular host worker injections, is F. subintegra. As far as I'm aware, all of the other species in this group are still up in the air as to whether they are facultative, meaning they don't need constant host pupae, or obligate, meaning they do (except, of course, for aserva). I'm currently raising a F. wheeleri queen, who's just gotten her first nanitics. The test now is to see if these nanitics engage in any sort of brood care - this should indicate that Formica wheeleri are facultative slave makers, as far as I understand.

So the short answer is that we'll just have to wait and see. It is probably impractical to attempt to keep an obligate slave raider, so in the case the keeper would be out of luck with these queens, unfortunately.

• AnthonyP163, rbarreto and AntsDakota like this

#28 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted February 22 2020 - 7:37 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Both of the parasitic queens you caught in this journal are slave raiders.  Whether or not the alive one is facultative; I do not know.  Multiple ant keepers (example) have noticed Formica pergandei queens produce a smaller, care taking caste in the first few generations; maybe that is what is going on here. 

I have a hypothesis that the facultative vs. obligate argument is actually more of a regional specificity then a species thing.  On Formica pergandei's wiki page, AntWiki does claim that all member species of the F. sanguinea group are facultative.  The citation for this statement is not clear, but it is possible that it was James Trager who wrote that, as his citation is listed on the paragraph below.

This queen doesn't resemble F. pergandei. She was caught in Rhinelander, WI (far north), and the keeper who caught her gave her to me with a few hosts. The area has lots of Formica ulkei but they don't resemble Formica ulkei so that seems unreasonable. I will try to get a worker as soon as one dies and determine species then. Thank you for sharing this with me, I will try to add more pupae from the subsericea colony just in case. 

• rbarreto and AntsBC like this

#29 Offline AntsBC - Posted February 22 2020 - 8:24 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

This queen doesn't resemble F. pergandei. She was caught in Rhinelander, WI (far north), and the keeper who caught her gave her to me with a few hosts. The area has lots of Formica ulkei but they don't resemble Formica ulkei so that seems unreasonable. I will try to get a worker as soon as one dies and determine species then. Thank you for sharing this with me, I will try to add more pupae from the subsericea colony just in case. 

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't saying that your queen was necessarily F. pergandei, I was just trying to put it out there that slave raiders have been known to raise a care taking caste in the first few generations, to make sense of the behavior you have noticed.

Edited by AntsBC, February 22 2020 - 8:25 PM.

• AnthonyP163 and rbarreto like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2020 - 3:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Update? Any general tips for Formica - they’re the most nervous ants I’ve ever dealt with.
  • AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#31 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 27 2020 - 5:05 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

same

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#32 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 8:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yes..... they’re very........ antsy.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#33 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 8:26 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I have a formica colony that is almost 2 years old and has maybe 10 small larvae and 6 workers now(they had 9). Is that a regular amount?

Edited by Ants_Dakota, March 27 2020 - 8:27 AM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#34 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 8:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Isn’t it more like a year?

#35 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 27 2020 - 8:42 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I have a formica colony that is almost 2 years old and has maybe 10 small larvae and 6 workers now(they had 9). Is that a regular amount?

No, that is below average. What are they being kept in, and fed?

#36 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 9:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’m pretty sure it’s less than a year old. I agree, however, that this is way below average. Even a year old colony should be at least 20-30 workers. Perhaps not hibernating them had something to do with it?

#37 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 27 2020 - 9:52 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, they don't need hibernation, but it is suggested...

#38 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 9:55 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
No hibernation is like a human getting no sleep. Ever.

#39 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 27 2020 - 9:58 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

yeah, they don't need hibernation, but it is suggested...

Hibernation is a necessity with northern Formica. 

• CheetoLord02, AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#40 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 9:59 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
In my experience, Formica do the worst of any ant without hibernation.
  • TennesseeAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, formica subaenescens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users