• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 08 Research and Design (Updated 11-26-2023)

formicarium container out world enclosure how-to diy design nest dspdrew tutorial

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 14 2023 - 1:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was just reading through this whole thing and I’m kind of confused. Do the versions of the formicarium now have tile at the bottom or hydrostone or both?

Yeah, there's been a lot of changes over the years. If you are talking about the full sized chambers, they have a large round tile with Hydrostone covering it. The Starter Formicariums have never really changed. They don't have any Hydrostone; just a tile.

I sell both of them, even though I don't have any fungus-grower formicariums listed on my Market Place thread.

• ANTdrew and AntsCali098 like this

#182 Offline CAantz - Posted January 15 2023 - 7:45 PM

CAantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Yah I was wondering about the ones for the leafcutters if there is even a different version specifically made for them. I am making my own version and just wanted to know.

Edited by CAantz, January 15 2023 - 7:46 PM.

#183 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2023 - 12:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Retrofitting with good Hydrostone contact.

gallery_2_281_638963.jpg

gallery_2_281_20439.jpg

• 100lols likes this

#184 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2023 - 1:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pouring resin floors in the starter formicariums.

gallery_2_281_286476.jpg

• 100lols likes this

#185 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted November 27 2023 - 8:35 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

^ It looks like a fresh experiment at the cheese lab is underway.
You got the control group cheese, the test group, and the placebo group there.

• 100lols likes this

#186 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 27 2023 - 9:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

^ It looks like a fresh experiment at the cheese lab is underway.
You got the control group cheese, the test group, and the placebo group there.

Yeah the floors are made of cheese now. They're delicious.

• 100lols likes this

#187 Offline 100lols - Posted November 28 2023 - 2:58 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Andrew, I want one!! I’ve been dying to try one of your new designs.

I have a quick question, I noticed the starter formicarium I have from you doesn’t seem to be wicking water through the hydrostone anymore. Could this be from age? I’ve been dying to use it but I haven’t figured it out quite yet :embarrassed:

#188 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 29 2023 - 10:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have a quick question, I noticed the starter formicarium I have from you doesn’t seem to be wicking water through the hydrostone anymore. Could this be from age? I’ve been dying to use it but I haven’t figured it out quite yet :embarrassed:

Are you talking about the tile in the center? There shouldn't be any Hydrostone in those formicariums.

#189 Offline 100lols - Posted November 29 2023 - 11:11 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Are you talking about the tile in the center? There shouldn't be any Hydrostone in those formicariums.

My mistake! Yes, the tile in the center that wicks up water through the sponge. It’s bone dry no matter what I do.

#190 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 30 2023 - 5:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

My mistake! Yes, the tile in the center that wicks up water through the sponge. It’s bone dry no matter what I do.

Well that's weird. The only time I have seen that happen is when I used to use addition-cure silicone in some of the production tools and it was leaching liquid silicone or oil into the tile, effectively sealing it. Is your tile perfectly smooth on the bottom side, or does it have an uneven surface?

#191 Offline 100lols - Posted December 12 2023 - 10:51 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Well that's weird. The only time I have seen that happen is when I used to use addition-cure silicone in some of the production tools and it was leaching liquid silicone or oil into the tile, effectively sealing it. Is your tile perfectly smooth on the bottom side, or does it have an uneven surface?

It has an uneven surface. Sorry for the delay! Is there a fix for this issue?

427d4b5f4dc3888286733b3d431433c4.jpg
e2a94c699447cde23c70ad8d289e21a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, container, out world, enclosure, how-to, diy, design, nest, dspdrew, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users