• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mettcollsuss's Aphaenogaster rudis Journal

journal aphaenogaster aphaenogaster rudis aphaenogaster cf. rudis ant keeping

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 20 2019 - 12:35 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

We were talking about this on Discord the other day, and apparently many Aphaenogaster are reluctant to take sugar water and honey.  However some will readily take crystallized sugars (regular granulated white or brown sugar.)  They will take it back to their nest, and liquefy it within the nest for feeding.

I'll try that. Thanks!

#62 Offline noebl1 - Posted January 20 2019 - 12:36 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

It works for my A. picea, but my A. fulva were unimpressed.  Apparently there's been very positive results with A. tennesseensis as well.

• Mettcollsuss and Thatfa666ene like this

#63 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 22 2019 - 6:26 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

We were talking about this on Discord the other day, and apparently many Aphaenogaster are reluctant to take sugar water and honey.  However some will readily take crystallized sugars (regular granulated white or brown sugar.)  They will take it back to their nest, and liquefy it within the nest for feeding.

It worked! They loved the brown sugar. Thanks.

• noebl1 likes this

#64 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 28 2019 - 2:52 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

They have several pupae at the moment and the queen keeps laying more and more eggs. I estimate there are roughly 40-50 eggs in the pile. 

#65 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2019 - 3:14 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found an A. tennesseenis queen and I'm having trouble with getting a host species. Any suggestions?
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#66 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 5 2019 - 5:27 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I found an A. tennesseenis queen and I'm having trouble with getting a host species. Any suggestions?

I find Aphaenogaster population more abundant in forests away from urban areas. Try checking out a local park. They love to hide near the surface of rocks/logs exposed to the sun.
  • noebl1 and Mettcollsuss like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#67 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 5 2019 - 5:45 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
I find Aphaenogaster population more abundant in forests away from urban areas. Try checking out a local park. They love to hide near the surface of rocks/logs exposed to the sun.

^^^^  This.  I live in the woods, and see them all Spring/Summer long during the day.  Usually easiest to spot along the side of the driveway walking in the leaves and such.  They are a pretty mobile species, so in the Spring when it's still cool, look under rocks, pieces of wood, etc for them bringing brood up to heat up in the sun.  Last summer we were assembling a swing set, and we'd find them a lot in the Spring with random brood in temporary piles under planks and other swing set pieces.  You can actually create "traps" for small colonies as well (this article has a study and design on how they did that):  https://www.hindawi....he/2012/752815/

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this

#68 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 27 2019 - 6:00 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
They just leave their trash piled up in the nest and it's causing problems. The sponge had almost turned black with mold. I gonna have to move them soon.
  • noebl1 likes this

#69 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 27 2019 - 6:03 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

They just leave their trash piled up in the nest and it's causing problems. The sponge had almost turned black with mold. I gonna have to move them soon.

I've had the same issues with A. fulva and A. rudis too... total slobs. My A. picea pulled an entire worm into their test tube, then left it to mold.  Hoping to get that out before I take them out of hibernation.  

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#70 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 16 2019 - 4:40 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

med_gallery_1963_1384_2449721.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_1361079.jpg

#71 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 13 2019 - 4:00 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Moved this journal to here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, aphaenogaster, aphaenogaster rudis, aphaenogaster cf. rudis, ant keeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users