• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parents won't let me keep Carpenter Ants! Help!

camponotus camponotus pennsylvanicus carpenter ants camponotus nearcticus ant keeping parents

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Reacker - Posted December 3 2017 - 7:43 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

So then don't keep carpenter ants and settle for any of the other species of ants that are certainly in your area. She's letting you keep any other ants but those known to be destructive to a house, perhaps you could be content with that compromise. Things could be a lot worse and this is hardly an imposition.

• LC3, noebl1, Martialis and 2 others like this

#22 Offline dermy - Posted December 3 2017 - 11:19 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

show them you do not respect their authority and keep them anyways. show them who is boss of the house. rules are meant to be broken.

That's the exact attitude I had/have. Eventually after getting in trouble for the 6000th time they will stop caring anyway and you can do basically whatever you want haha, taken from my own person experince.

Just keep them anyway hide them away somewhere and like others have said if they ask just lie and say they aren't Carpenter Ants but some other ant species.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#23 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted December 4 2017 - 12:10 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Convince them you want a little brother. There was a ton of stuff that I wasn't allowed to do while living with my parents that once my brother decided he wanted to do they were ok with. XD

#24 Offline dermy - Posted December 4 2017 - 12:20 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Convince them you want a little brother. There was a ton of stuff that I wasn't allowed to do while living with my parents that once my brother decided he wanted to do they were ok with. XD

I wouldn't recommend that based on personal experience. Would you rather be able to keep ants but have every colony you ever owned for 7 years straight get murdered? I'd either stick with other species or just keep them without them knowing.

#25 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 4 2017 - 3:32 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Well, I already have two younger brothers, ages 6 and 9.

#26 Offline sgheaton - Posted December 4 2017 - 6:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I want the time wasted reading all this nonsense back

• T.C., Diesel and Mettcollsuss like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#27 Offline Hunter - Posted December 4 2017 - 7:51 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

you could be freeky cheeky and do camp nova and says its a red carpenter ant :wink:

#28 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 4 2017 - 7:59 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

show them you do not respect their authority and keep them anyways. show them who is boss of the house. rules are meant to be broken.

That's the exact attitude I had/have. Eventually after getting in trouble for the 6000th time they will stop caring anyway and you can do basically whatever you want haha, taken from my own person experince.

Just keep them anyway hide them away somewhere and like others have said if they ask just lie and say they aren't Carpenter Ants but some other ant species.

If I do that, my ants are going in the trash, along with my computer and (probably?) sketchbook. I got a strict thing going on here.

My parents initially denied me from keeping C. pennsylvanicus, but they let me when I proved that I was responsible enough to get a first worker from C. chromaiodes without them escaping.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#29 Offline Hunter - Posted December 4 2017 - 8:09 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

If I do that, my ants are going in the trash, along with my computer and (probably?) sketchbook. I got a strict thing going on here.

My parents initially denied me from keeping C. pennsylvanicus, but they let me when I proved that I was responsible enough to get a first worker from C. chromaiodes without them escaping.

same

#30 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 4 2017 - 10:17 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

same

You just recommended giving parents the finger :P.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, December 4 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#31 Offline Hunter - Posted December 4 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

same

You just recommended giving parents the finger :P.

they don't care if i swear or do that, but if i try to be the boss, o [censored] hold on

#32 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 4 2017 - 10:26 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Oh ho ho ho, my parents would kill me if I swear at them. :P

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#33 Offline dermy - Posted December 4 2017 - 10:33 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Oh well you kids are lucky, back in my day I didn't have anything they could take away. They already took away internet privileges when I was 15 so it was like what are they gonna do take away my sleeping privileges?

#34 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 4 2017 - 10:37 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Oh well you kids are lucky, back in my day I didn't have anything they could take away. They already took away internet privileges when I was 15 so it was like what are they gonna do take away my sleeping privileges?

My internet privileges are already monitored, and I am not allowed to have any social media (except for our beloved Formiculture, of course :P).

Sorry for making a tangent on this thread :P

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#35 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 4 2017 - 2:12 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

My internet privileges are already monitored, and I am not allowed to have any social media (except for our beloved Formiculture, of course :P).

Sorry for making a tangent on this thread :P

That's fine. I don't mind. I do that myself sometimes (by which I mean all the time).

• Connectimyrmex likes this

#36 Offline Reacker - Posted December 4 2017 - 5:22 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Back in your day? You mean just a couple of years ago.....

• Martialis and FeedTheAnts like this

#37 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 4 2017 - 5:49 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Back in your day? You mean just a couple of years ago.....

WHEEZE
HAHA

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#38 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 12 2017 - 3:21 AM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I have been planning to catch a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen when they fly in the spring. I've been planning their setup and whatnot. I thought my mom knew, but apparently she didn't. So when I started talking about my future plans for them, she told me that I wasn't allowed to keep them. She doesn't have a problem with me keeping other ants, but she's worried that they will escape and nest in our house. She's kind of paranoid because our back deck does have a Carpenter Ant problem. I do already have a small C. nearcticus colony, but she only let's me keep them because they only nest in cavities that already exist and don't grow very large colonies. Can someone come up with ideas to help me convince her to let me keep Carpenter Ants? Thanks!

I've had Camponotus decipiens escape before and they simply died. I don't think they would take interest in nesting in your house. You could also keep their outworld as an air tight container to prove that they can't get out to her.
These are two whole different species of Camponotus, Camponotus decipiens aren't known for nesting in houses, while Camponotus pennsylvanicus are widely known as an equivalent to termites.

Actually there are over 1000 distinct species of camponotus. Also camponotus pennsylvanicus can't chew through dry wood, and they do not consume wood like termites do, they simple burrow into wet or rotten wood to make a nest. Also they do not reproduce nearly as fast as termites. Therefore, camponotus pennsylvanicus is not nearly as destructive as termite species.

#39 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 12 2017 - 4:11 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have been planning to catch a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen when they fly in the spring. I've been planning their setup and whatnot. I thought my mom knew, but apparently she didn't. So when I started talking about my future plans for them, she told me that I wasn't allowed to keep them. She doesn't have a problem with me keeping other ants, but she's worried that they will escape and nest in our house. She's kind of paranoid because our back deck does have a Carpenter Ant problem. I do already have a small C. nearcticus colony, but she only let's me keep them because they only nest in cavities that already exist and don't grow very large colonies. Can someone come up with ideas to help me convince her to let me keep Carpenter Ants? Thanks!

I've had Camponotus decipiens escape before and they simply died. I don't think they would take interest in nesting in your house. You could also keep their outworld as an air tight container to prove that they can't get out to her.
These are two whole different species of Camponotus, Camponotus decipiens aren't known for nesting in houses, while Camponotus pennsylvanicus are widely known as an equivalent to termites.

Actually there are over 1000 distinct species of camponotus. Also camponotus pennsylvanicus can't chew through dry wood, and they do not consume wood like termites do, they simple burrow into wet or rotten wood to make a nest. Also they do not reproduce nearly as fast as termites. Therefore, camponotus pennsylvanicus is not nearly as destructive as termite species.

That's what I tried to tell my parents. They still won't listen.

#40 Offline Serafine - Posted December 12 2017 - 4:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Pretty much all Camponotus majors can chew through dry wood, unless it's really really hard wood (like Teak). Most of them just don't do it, that doesn't mean they can't. Camponotus majors can also chew through Ytong, gypsum, plaster and sandstone. The difference to Messor ants is that Messor WILL do it, Camponotus ants MAY do it if they're in a jerky mood.

Also you don't need Camponotus pennsylvanicus. There's lots of Camponontus species with less ridiculous colony sizes, better be thankful that your parents aren't aware most of them can nest in dry wood as well.

Also they do not reproduce nearly as fast as termites.

Most termites actually have a really really really slow initial growth. The issue with termites is that you don't see them until they have grown secretly for years and when you discover their presence they already are a monstrous colony with thousands of reproductives.

And don't underestimate the Camponotus ants with large colony sizes - their initial growth might be slow but they can REALLY explode in year 3-5.

The amount of brood a large Camponotus colony can raise is mindboggling.

Edited by Serafine, December 12 2017 - 4:54 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus pennsylvanicus, carpenter ants, camponotus nearcticus, ant keeping, parents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users