• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dorymyrmex Insanus Flight Southern California 12/11/14

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chromerust - Posted December 11 2014 - 1:53 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
If you guys in SoCal are interested in finding queens, Dorymyrmex flew today in Riverside. My guess is you'll be able to find these all over where you live too. If you need help identifying founding chambers I can post a pic for you guys. I think Drew already has a thread with pics on here already

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 2:10 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Are you serious? This late in the year!? I have been seeing things that look like founding chambers all day! I just disregarded them because of the fact it is December...

#3 Offline Chromerust - Posted December 11 2014 - 2:18 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Yeah if they are little piles of dirt about the size of a nickel, then it's most likely a Dorymyrmex

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 2:22 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
:o There are hundreds of them here in Simi Valley! Most of them are only a few inches apart too!

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 2:31 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
It is kind of weird I have not seen a single queen walking around though.

#6 Offline Chromerust - Posted December 11 2014 - 3:20 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I've never seen one walk around either. They land in a specific spot and immediately dig

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 11 2014 - 4:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey everybody. Don't forget to report nuptial flights on the mating chart thread so that it gets added to the update I plan to do yearly.

#8 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 14 2014 - 12:32 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Yeah if they are little piles of dirt about the size of a nickel, then it's most likely a Dorymyrmex

Happen to have a picture? I just walked around the sandy areas around my neighborhood where there's a few Pogonomyrmex colonies and at least one Dorymyrmex colony and couldn't find anything. Doesn't surprise me though, even most of the active nests were barely stirring.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 14 2014 - 12:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 15 2014 - 9:49 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Thanks Drew, that helps a lot! I probably would have mistaken that for earthworm castings (which I did come across, and am pretty sure were castings).

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 15 2014 - 10:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, those look distinctly different.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 15 2014 - 8:11 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Yeah, those look distinctly different.

Based on your video though, the mounds look about the same size right?

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 15 2014 - 11:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Same size, but the dirt from worms has been squeezed out of them, not picked up and dropped piece by piece.

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 21 2015 - 5:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

There are small colonies now with nanitics emerging all over the place now- probably from the queens that flew on this date.

#15 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 14 2015 - 1:02 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I saved a few of these queens just for the heck of it and I just saw a couple have a brand new worker. I didn't keep them very warm so it took longer than usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users