• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Support for an upcoming ant app, AntHUB

app ant community contests polls

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted November 29 2017 - 6:13 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I am very excited!

#22 Offline AntHUB - Posted November 29 2017 - 6:28 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado

The original app is free, but we may put it on indegogo so we can add new features. Users have access to everything, but may be an online shop, so that is why we may put it on indegogo

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#23 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 30 2017 - 10:39 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Pretty simple, uses results from antweb.org to get location of species, then compares it to the list of flights on docs that Drew put together. Also if you are putting it on Indiegogo, means you want money. I don't see it happening personally. Also if you expect to make money, and not be a free resource, then you won't get off the ground, I'm afraid. You provide little and (from what you have said so far) expect a lot. I highly suggest you move your resources and time elsewhere.

Spazzing is right. Free forums, such as Formiculture, Antfarm(yuku), and the Antscanada forum would definitely out-compete something that's pretty much the same but costs money.

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#24 Offline AntHUB - Posted November 30 2017 - 2:05 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

this is is the second time I'm telling you it's free

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

#25 Offline Serafine - Posted November 30 2017 - 2:18 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

So it's essentially a social media platform for antkeeping. I'm not sure if there is even enough antkeepers online for that thing to sustain itself.

• noebl1 and Connectimyrmex like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#26 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 30 2017 - 3:20 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

this is is the second time I'm telling you it's free

Oh it's free, sorry. You didn't tell me specifically :P

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#27 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted November 30 2017 - 6:30 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

So it's essentially a social media platform for antkeeping. I'm not sure if there is even enough antkeepers online for that thing to sustain itself.

Which was my next point, depending on the answer. It's a good idea, one I've had myself, but there isn't enough people in the whole Antkeeping hobby to you to have a thriving social media platform. This is why I decided to provide a free online resource that is accessible from any device, without a need to signup or download anything. Normally, you start with a working idea that's get popular, then you move to an app.

• T.C. likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#28 Offline T.C. - Posted November 30 2017 - 6:32 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Which was my next point, depending on the answer. It's a good idea, one I've had myself, but there isn't enough people in the whole Antkeeping hobby to you to have a thriving social media platform. This is why I decided to provide a free online resource that is accessible from any device, without a need to signup or download anything. Normally, you start with a working idea that's get popular, then you move to an app.

100% in agreeance on this.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#29 Offline Antsy - Posted November 30 2017 - 8:00 PM

Antsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationTexas, Houston/ Costa Rica, Monteverde

100% in agreeance on this.

Still really cool I say give it a shot

#30 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 1 2017 - 6:19 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

The app is sort of a social media platform, I Disagree with there not being enough people for a fanbase though. The signup process right now is just creating a username. It doesn't have to be that popular though. When i first thought of this app, i just was thinking about creating something that was convenient and that I could use to document the queens I captured when I captured them. Our app includes photo features, leaderboards, and posts, so I could make posts sooner and not have to get on a computer every time i had a question. When I use an app, I don't have to go through the long process of sending an email or downloading images so I can ask about them on forums.

#31 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 12 2017 - 3:10 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

That may be true but there’s also a lot of people interested in the hobby, that’s why ants Canada has over a million subscribers. If this app is really good that number could increase, younger kids would rather use an app than a forum so I think this could be very benifical in growing the hobby

Edited by Goldsystem, December 12 2017 - 3:11 PM.

#32 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 12 2017 - 4:15 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

thank you for pointing that out. also it may help get ant enthusiasts get into the ant-keeping hobby.

#33 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 19 2017 - 8:40 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Hey guys, just wanted to give a progress update, here are 3 logo pitches comment you favorite below

pNjbZRI

UctePQo

VdPXLAt

Edited by AntHUB, December 19 2017 - 8:41 PM.

• Birddoogg likes this

#34 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 19 2017 - 8:42 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

It looks nice, but the text looks blocky, and the Odontomachus antennae look a bit strange. I also think that putting a more "typical" ant (like Tetramorium) would be a nice idea as well. Maybe you should try getting a photographer to take a picture of an ant, have them crop the pic, and just use a simplified ant as a logo, rather than the text on top.

I like the 1st one the best, but the only variation is the color (I like them design, its just that blue is my fav color)

I can try to make a pixelated logo for you if you want.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, December 19 2017 - 8:44 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#35 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 19 2017 - 8:53 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I like this idea!:ok:

#36 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 19 2017 - 9:02 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

@Anthub, here's a logo design. See if you like it.

https://scratch.mit....ects/194633907/

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#37 Offline Birddoogg - Posted December 19 2017 - 11:03 PM

Birddoogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
They look really sweet!!! I’m looking forward to this app!

#38 Offline Serafine - Posted December 20 2017 - 3:41 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Fixed it for you.

Hey guys, just wanted to give a progress update, here are 3 logo pitches comment you favorite below
pNjbZRI.jpg

UctePQo.jpg

VdPXLAt.jpg

Green looks too much like AntsCanada, red hurts the eyes (but could work if less glaring), blue is fine.

Edited by Serafine, December 20 2017 - 3:44 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#39 Offline Reevak - Posted December 20 2017 - 9:04 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

IMO the green looks the best. But, like Serafine said, it is very reminiscent of AntsCanada's logo. The red might look better if the ant figures on the sides were a darker color instead of being white. The blue looks nice I don't really like it as much as the green (or the red if it had darker colors incorporated into it).

• T.C. likes this

#40 Offline AntHUB - Posted January 6 2018 - 9:11 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Thanks for the input guys we’ve decided to use the blue logo for the app. Also we will probably be ready for alpha in February so if you’d like to try the app early please Pm me or, even better, email me asking if you can test it. When alpha is ready I will contact you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: app, ant community, contests, polls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users