• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My take on Tar Heel Ants' The Pinnacle

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted December 10 2014 - 4:22 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Hey, guys.

I purchase the Pinnacle from Tar Heel Ants. (Google the name if you like to visit their website.)

I placed my order on Nov 11 and received it Dec 10th.

Let the pictures speak itself. I will add my comments below pictures if I have any.

The package came in an oversized box full of protective foams. It was - very well - packaged and was fully protected. I'd give A+ in packaging department.

My first impression on the formicarium was good. It was until my attention moved to the lid. When I unpacked the lid which came in a separate packing, I noticed that 2 rare earth magnet cubes came off. And when I attempted to place it on the lid with 2 cubes on, one came off. I gently touched the magnet cubes on the formicarium. All of them came off with slight force.

So, Tar Heel Ants needs to work on that. However, I must also note that you won't have this issue if you order this formicarium with regular case. I ordered with improved box (yes). If you choose no, it will come with a different kind of box that has better lid mechanism.

I consider this a minor issue.

Now, let me show you more close-up pictures.

It comes with a needle. It is a real actual needle. It is used to add water to the nest.

He sent me a growth chamber as a bonus.

My take on the The Pinnacle is that it is an exceptional product. Well, it should be, considering I paid 250 USD for it. In the end, it was 350 CAD for me. Its lid has some issues but it can be easily solved with DYI methods although it's not something I'd like to do when I pay this much. But as I stated earlier, it is a minor issue and I won't be pulling my hair over that.

Tar Heel Ants claims this nest is suited for a colony with 1000 ~ 1500 (medium size) ants. Due to it being able to use all four sides, its actual real estate is about 4 times of AntsCanada's vertical omni nest I have. It is huge.

The overall case feels firm and heavy. I can hardly pick faults on the formicarium itself. If I have to voice a concern, it is how I should clean the nest if a colony dies in it.

I chose the Pinnacle over the Nucleus but I think the Nucleus might be better maintenance-wise. However, at the same time, I am kind of skeptical about the magnet powered side window. Well, I guess I will have to find out by purchasing the Nucleus.

P.S.

I paid 45 USD for shipping but Tar Heel Ants paid 75 USD to make it express. Its transit time was 3 days. It is a detail one can easily overlook.

#2 Offline LAnt - Posted December 10 2014 - 5:07 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Have you tried makin your own formicarium? It might be just a tad bit cheaper.

#3 Offline DesertAntz - Posted December 10 2014 - 5:29 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I'd love to see it when a colony moves in. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#4 Offline GAEME - Posted December 10 2014 - 6:02 PM

GAEME

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationKorea

.Wow! It looks so amazing! (y) There is no formicarium like that in Korea... We almost buy flat plaster/acrylic formicarium or use a plastic jar. :(

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 10 2014 - 6:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice. I like your reviews.

#6 Offline dean_k - Posted December 11 2014 - 7:47 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Have you tried makin your own formicarium? It might be just a tad bit cheaper.

I intentionally chose one of the most expensive ones. For majority of ant keepers, their cheaper / smaller products will suffice. I think their 60 dollar nests will suffice most of needs.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted December 11 2014 - 8:23 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

You would need a huge colony to put in that thing to ensure it wasn't too large.

Then again, a 5-7 year old Formica colony might do the trick....

I want to see you stick that in you fridge for hibernation.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline James C. Trager - Posted December 11 2014 - 8:55 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Nice review, and you hit on my mainconcern about the THA nests, generally - Hard to clean out for reuse.

However, I have reused one , and the new inhabitANTs did a nice job cleaning it out. Not sure if it will always go so easily.

#9 Offline dean_k - Posted December 11 2014 - 9:23 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

You would need a huge colony to put in that thing to ensure it wasn't too large.

Then again, a 5-7 year old Formica colony might do the trick....

I want to see you stick that in you fridge for hibernation.  :D

I was going to use it for the bigger Myrmica colony you have ... How little I knew. When I saw it up and close, the thing was huge and heavy.

Nice review, and you hit on my mainconcern about the THA nests, generally - Hard to clean out for reuse.

However, I have reused one , and the new inhabitANTs did a nice job cleaning it out. Not sure if it will always go so easily.

I think smaller ones can be reused fairly easily, but this one's big and deep. The tunnels are complex and won't be easy to clean out should a big colony die within it.

Edited by dean_k, December 11 2014 - 9:25 AM.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted December 11 2014 - 9:48 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

That bigger Myrmica colony still manages to fit inside of one test tube.  :D  They would get severely lost.

With such large formicariums, I find letting everything dry out and then shaking out the debris to work decent.  Or using a large air compressor also works (wear protective eye wear).

I, too, have a massive nest hiding in a corner that is one day reserved for one of my colonies when they grow large enough.  I don't think it is quite as large as that one though....  :D

What are the dimensions of that monstrosity?   It would make a lovely nest for a large Formica colony....

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#11 Offline dean_k - Posted December 11 2014 - 9:54 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

That bigger Myrmica colony still manages to fit inside of one test tube.  :D  They would get severely lost.

With such large formicariums, I find letting everything dry out and then shaking out the debris to work decent.  Or using a large air compressor also works (wear protective eye wear).

I, too, have a massive nest hiding in a corner that is one day reserved for one of my colonies when they grow large enough.  I don't think it is quite as large as that one though....  :D

What are the dimensions of that monstrosity?   It would make a lovely nest for a large Formica colony....

10 (254mm) inch x 7 inch (175mm) x 6 inch (150mm) and 4 floors.

You have an option to have 2 to 4 floors. I chose 4. Again, how little I knew.

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:03 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Is that the size of the entire container or just the nest section?

For some reason, I thought the nest was bigger...

My Colonies

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:05 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I wonder, if I were to get one, could I request how he shapes the tunnels too? Because if I would get one, it would be for the nice, clean, hygienic Myrmecocystus. ;)

#14 Offline dean_k - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:06 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

It is the size of the container. The nest is smaller as you can see.

The real estate for ants is huge because the tunnels are deep cut.

I wonder, if I were to get one, could I request how he shapes the tunnels too? Because if I would get one, it would be for the nice, clean, hygienic Myrmecocystus. ;)

Yes, you can request that.

Edited by dean_k, December 11 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:09 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I would need tunnels in the shape of igneous sills.

#16 Offline dean_k - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:19 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

You should shoot him an e-mail and ask him. But I don't see why not. When I ordered the nest, he was willing to mod to the finest details if requested.

#17 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 11:04 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
He sure runs a great business. I think, because of reusability factors, I would only order one for Myrmecocystus, whichd basically leave no junk in the nest, storing everything in repletes, or leaving a midden. I would suggest you put Prenolepis in yours, as those are fairly clean the same way I think. :)

#18 Offline dean_k - Posted December 11 2014 - 11:11 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

He sure runs a great business. I think, because of reusability factors, I would only order one for Myrmecocystus, whichd basically leave no junk in the nest, storing everything in repletes, or leaving a midden. I would suggest you put Prenolepis in yours, as those are fairly clean the same way I think. :)

They have a new nest called "Nucleus". It has a glass side window that you can take off and access the nest directly, thus reusability is very high on that nest. It's probably what I am going to buy next.

As for the nest I bought in this thread, I will save it for a colony that gets big enough. Will probably take some years but, oh well, anting is all about taking time anyways.

#19 Offline Mercutia - Posted December 11 2014 - 11:19 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I'd love to swing by and take a look at it first hand. I always imagined the Nucleus was a better bet because of it's removable glass. Either way, a nest that big I imagine its going to take some time before you get a colony big enough to fit it. I hope you have other options for the stages in between.

#20 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted December 11 2014 - 11:27 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Yeah Mercutia- that is why I ordered a custom large one - this has removable glass with a large area up top too :)

Nest

photo 2

Edited by Tspivey16, December 11 2014 - 11:33 AM.

• dean_k likes this

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users