• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis Confusion

prenolepis prenolepis imparis winter ant winter ants false honey ant false honeypot ant false honey pot ant

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 9 2017 - 3:55 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So I have been looking into getting a P. imparis colony soon. However, there seem to be some confusion on their difficulty level and care. In the AntsCanada care video on them, (  ), he says that they are a great beginner species, however, in the Tarheel Ants Video on them (  ), he says that they are an advanced species and very difficult to get past the second year. I have also heard that there are certain conditions and hibernation schedules that the queens need to lay eggs. Does anyone here have experience keeping these ants? Can someone help me sort this all out and/or give me tips on keeping them?

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 10 2017 - 4:05 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Also, will adult colonies accept new queens?

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted November 10 2017 - 7:49 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
My journal will be very useful. My 6 colonies are doing great. They eat most things I give them.

http://www.formicult...9;s prenolepis

Edited by Nathant2131, November 10 2017 - 7:52 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted November 10 2017 - 10:33 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I think it's funny how you tried to embed all the videos into the discussion like they where emoticons. :P

• noebl1 and Mettcollsuss like this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 10 2017 - 2:20 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I think it's funny how you tried to embed all the videos into the discussion like they where emoticons. :P

I didn't. I meant to place a link for people to copy/paste into their browser. I've never put video links in a post before, so I didn't know this would happen.  

Edited by Mettcollsuss, November 11 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 12 2017 - 8:32 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have a large colony of P. imparis in my backyard and a colony in my school garden. I'm watching them for signs of nuptial flights.

#7 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted November 12 2017 - 10:03 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I have a large colony of P. imparis in my backyard and a colony in my school garden. I'm watching them for signs of nuptial flights.

It's good that you've located a couple colonies but they do not fly until the first warm day of spring. I caught a few of my queens in February (there was a warm front) but most of them in April. 

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 12 2017 - 3:20 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yeah, I'm planning on making one polygynous colony to keep and making several monogynous colonies to sell.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prenolepis, prenolepis imparis, winter ant, winter ants, false honey ant, false honeypot ant, false honey pot ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users