• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation vs. Eggs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted November 5 2017 - 4:25 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY
Simply, do eggs survive hibernation? My myrmica sp. decided to lay eggs just before hibernation. Should I let them hatch or stick them in the cooler and hope for them to make it 4 months or lay a new clutch?
I am using a wine fridge. Starting temp is 64F. I plan on dropping it 2-3F every week until i hit mid-low 50s. Appropriate?

#2 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted November 5 2017 - 7:40 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I think you have a good plan; that is, gradually dropping the temperature artificially. I live in PA and target 45 F for hibernation. I just throw mine in our unfinished basement and the temperature drops naturally, probably similar to your plan. As for the eggs, let the queen decide what to do with them and don't worry about it. If she decides to eat everything, she'll simply be stronger for the next season. Good luck!
~Dan

#3 Offline Ender Ants - Posted November 8 2017 - 4:22 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

From what I heard, eggs will die if they are put into hibernation. But larvae, and maybe cocoons/pupae can survive hibernation. I would wait until they turn into larvae, then put them into hibernation

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted November 8 2017 - 7:39 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Depends on the genus or species. Formica spp. won't keep any brood at all during the winter. 

The Myrmica specioides I have do overwinter their eggs and larvae but not pupae (although from my experience the pupae don't end up dying) and the M. incompleta here also seem to overwinter eggs and larvae.  Lowering the temperature gradually sounds like a good idea. Since they're just eggs and it's a Myrmica sp. it won't be a huge loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users