• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

looking for Aphaenogaster picea in maine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hunter - Posted October 30 2017 - 6:34 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

hi I'm looking for

Aphaenogaster picea for 20-30 dollars or trade

#2 Offline Hunter - Posted October 30 2017 - 7:53 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

or

Ponera pennsylvanica

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted October 30 2017 - 8:32 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Over the summer, I found a few mature colonies of Aphaenogaster picea on the railroad tracks under loose boards. If I remember correctly I got 5 colonies with the queens. They will just sit under the board.

Edited by T.C., October 30 2017 - 8:32 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Hunter - Posted October 30 2017 - 8:37 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

the closest train track is over 30 miles away from me :suicide:

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 30 2017 - 10:46 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I believe they were flying here on Aug 15th here in MA.  I had originally mis-IDed her (and others) as Tetramorium at the time, and only recently noticed my mistake.   :facepalm: I am about 80% certain she's a A. picea after looking thru the Field Guide to New England ants, but not obviously 100% yet.   Was an afternoon flight and already on the ground looking for places to hide in the late afternoon.  I live in the woods, heavily wooded lot.

She's got a small brood pile, and waiting on her first worker to eclose (looks like unless it dies, she's really close) before putting her into hibernation.  Should be able to get a confirmation on ID as well.

Edited by noebl1, October 30 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 30 2017 - 10:57 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

the closest train track is over 30 miles away from me :suicide:

Walk into a forest and flip a rock, I bet you a hundred dollars you will find a colony.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 30 2017 - 11:09 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Collecting wild colonies before you have experience keeping that ant is not advised. You should try with queens you find in July and August. If you like seed-eating ants, then Tetramorium will be flying even sooner.

• noebl1 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Hunter - Posted October 30 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

lol i found a picia queen under a rock and i have had 3 colonys of picia but one of my queens died

#9 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 30 2017 - 8:13 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I once caught a whole bunch of P. p. (2016), only to release them again after learning how much of a pain they'd be to take care of.
~Dan

#10 Offline Hunter - Posted October 31 2017 - 11:24 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

i don't think there hard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users