• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! One Queen dead. Can I merge with other founding colony?

merge

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted October 26 2017 - 3:28 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Help!

I have two Lasius founding colonies in separate test tubes and the queen died in one of them.

Both queens were caught the same day and the same general location. They were caught mid August.

If I bridge the two test tubes will the workers with the dead queen join the living queen and her brood? Will they bring along the eggs, larvae and pupa?

Or will trying to join them result in conflict or it's just plain futile to try it all? I'm unsure why the queen died but it was a queen that retained her wings and has them even now. I have been giving all my founding colonies the same food at the same time. Could I risk bringing a disease to the other colony?

If it matters, the one that the queen died has 16 workers and the one which is still alive has 12 workers.
I think they are neonigers but unsure of that.

Should I wait a while first? If so, how long?

I just hate to think that without their queen I now have to wait and watch that founding colony die.

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:19 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Lasius species will not accept new workers. However, if you are sure that they're the same species of Lasius, you can give the daed queen's brood to your healthy colony. Lasius take very well to brood boosting.

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:56 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I've read a bit about this 'boosting' but not completely clear on what it entails.

Does it mean I remove the workers from the dead queen and place the brood (eggs, larva, pupa) within reach of the healthy colony and they will pick up the brood by themselves? Or do I have to try to put those eggs, larva and pupa as close to those of the healthy brood myself? (Both colonies are still in test tubes).

I assume this just means the healthy colony will have a boost when all those new eggs, larva and pupa eclose and the healthy colony gets a quick boost in numbers. I was planning on trying to hibernate these colonies soon as I live in Canada and it's starting to get chilly outside.

#4 Offline Scrixx - Posted October 26 2017 - 6:52 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

I've read a bit about this 'boosting' but not completely clear on what it entails.

Does it mean I remove the workers from the dead queen and place the brood (eggs, larva, pupa) within reach of the healthy colony and they will pick up the brood by themselves? Or do I have to try to put those eggs, larva and pupa as close to those of the healthy brood myself? (Both colonies are still in test tubes).

I assume this just means the healthy colony will have a boost when all those new eggs, larva and pupa eclose and the healthy colony gets a quick boost in numbers. I was planning on trying to hibernate these colonies soon as I live in Canada and it's starting to get chilly outside.

You just put them somewhere easily accessible by the accepting colony. Like right in front of the nest entrance. Assuming it's the same species they'll be like, "wtf are these larvae doing out here?" as they bring them to the brood pile.

• Lazarus likes this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#5 Offline Lazarus - Posted October 26 2017 - 7:30 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Given that both colonies are in test tubes, I just get rid of the workers in the tube where the queen died and then just connect the tubes together for a while?

Here's a morbid question. What do I do with the workers from the dead queen colony? If they die will other ants eat them? I assume they are a good source protein and it seemed that my founding colonies all enjoyed the one time I gave each a fruit fly. Are ants cannibals like that? My other founding colonies are 4 Camponotus ones. Would they eat the Lasius workers because they are so much bigger?

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 26 2017 - 7:41 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Given that both colonies are in test tubes, I just get rid of the workers in the tube where the queen died and then just connect the tubes together for a while?

Here's a morbid question. What do I do with the workers from the dead queen colony? If they die will other ants eat them? I assume they are a good source protein and it seemed that my founding colonies all enjoyed the one time I gave each a fruit fly. Are ants cannibals like that? My other founding colonies are 4 Camponotus ones. Would they eat the Lasius workers because they are so much bigger?

You can continue to keep the workers as a queenless colony and wait for them to die naturally or you can just kill them yourself through pesticides, boiling, freezing, etc. You can feed them to your other colonies but I would not find worker ants as a reliable source of protein or them having much nutritional value. . 

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 26 2017 - 7:59 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Keep them! You can offer them to a Lasius claviger or umbratus queen next spring or this winter.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline Russell - Posted October 26 2017 - 8:05 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

I have merged colonies but I chill both test tubes down otherwise the workers and queen may fight. I chill both test tubes down in freezer or fridge for 10-15 min or until all workers and queen are knocked out. Then I tape test tubes together and pull from fridge and when they wake they tend to think the new queens is theirs. Worked several times for me however on a rare occasion they fight and I have to knock them out again and try again. 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

#9 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 27 2017 - 3:46 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
If I were you I'd go out and catch soke L. Claviger or L. Imbratus and try a social parasite colony.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#10 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 27 2017 - 11:48 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

If I were you I'd go out and catch soke L. Claviger or L. Imbratus and try a social parasite colony.

This is literally exactly what I said :/

• Works4TheGood likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#11 Offline Lazarus - Posted October 27 2017 - 4:52 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Opted to try boosting. Managed to separate the ants from the brood from the tube with the dead queen and then managed to place the brood pile at the entrance of the tube with the healthy colony. Now the waiting game to see if they take in the brood.

#12 Offline Lazarus - Posted October 28 2017 - 3:21 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
They scooped up the brood with the hour and placed them with their own. That was fast! Glad that I could at least save them.

#13 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 28 2017 - 6:15 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

Haha, sorry😅but I just wanted to bring your point a bit more forwards

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#14 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 28 2017 - 7:48 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Haha, sorrybut I just wanted to bring your point a bit more forwards

Oh. Its fine, my bad.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi