• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tricking ants into flying?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 30 2014 - 8:28 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Considering the species that tend to fly after it rains, how do they know it rained? If during mating season, during a week of nice, warm weather I were to gently "water" a nest, do you think that could encourage or trick them to fly?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 30 2014 - 8:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No, watering a nest will not be sufficient.  

The environmental cues that trigger mating in wild colonies occur on a macro scale, which is why you see huge nuptial flights in many species.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 30 2014 - 8:40 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted December 1 2014 - 6:27 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Yes, what drtmiller said. I have only once seen ants triggered to fly by a sprinkler system. It was hot and dry for a few weeks before, and the sprinklers were run through the morning in a landscaped area, giving the ground a through soaking. Solenopsis molesta flew that afternoon. The dragonflies were very happy; Many swarmed to the area, grabbing up every queen that took flight. Usually, it takes more than artificial watering to stimulate ant flights, e.g., full fledged weather phenomena.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 6:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It certainly can happen in some very localized areas. When I go looking in the desert, I watch the radar and go straight to the spot where it rained, even if it's only a two mile radius. I will find founding chambers in that spot, but not a single one outside that area.

Retroman has managed to breed ants in captivity. I have proof of it right in my collection of colonies, as my P. tenuispinus colony came from this year's breeding. He explained how he did it in this post (http://forum.formicu...21-2014/?p=5708) on my P. tenuispinus journal.

Keep in mind, this was done during the same time of the year that they fly in the wild.

• AntLover101 likes this

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 7 2015 - 11:33 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

It looks like Solenopsis can be tricked into flying:

Swarming or nuptial flights of imported fire ants can be initiated in a laboratory colony by increasing the soil moisture and slightly elevating the temperature above the prevailing laboratory conditions.

I still wonder if this would work on wild colonies. 

Edited by Foogoo, April 7 2015 - 11:34 AM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline kellakk - Posted April 7 2015 - 1:37 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

This would be an interesting test.  I might try this on a Solenopsis invicta mound, shining extra sunlight on the mounds using a mirror and watering the surrounding soil.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users