• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Howdy from the Missouri Ozarks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BadKarma - Posted November 23 2014 - 2:09 PM

BadKarma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Fascinated redneck here!!

I have always been fascinated by ants, but never really took it seriously. Saw a couple shows on NatGeo and Animal Planet and decided to go looking around and found several YouTube vids and then this place!!  I'm jazzed. Gonna start getting stuff together to start a colony or 2 in the spring. That gives me time enough to learn as much as I can.

what's a good first book for a total noob to get started? I've messed with tropical fish for many years, so I understand concepts, but learning is the key.

A little about me:  52 years old, Navy vet. Born and raised here in the Ozarks near Branson MO. I work in the IT Industry and am very fond of outdoor sports. (hunting and fishing) Also very active in the shooting sports.

Thanks all.

Lee

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 23 2014 - 2:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome! Ants are fun, and challenging at times.

#3 Offline dean_k - Posted November 23 2014 - 2:44 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Welcome.

I myself am 33 years old and started anting just few months ago. Caught myself 2 Lasius queens but one died in hibernation but got myself a small Myrmica colony from one of members here. Ant behaviors, once you know what they do and why they do is, are fascinating. They aren't just randomly roaming around. They have purposes.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 23 2014 - 2:53 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Welcome! You do not really need a book, on youtube there is a person named AntsCanada he has a ton of tutorials on antkeeping.

• Chromerust likes this

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 23 2014 - 3:29 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome!

#6 Offline BadKarma - Posted November 23 2014 - 5:05 PM

BadKarma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks everyone.

I found Antscanada channel and am still going over it and a few others. Just wanted to learn more about general behavior and species and such. 

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted November 23 2014 - 5:22 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Visit and check threads at journals forum. You can learn a lot from reading people's journals.

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 23 2014 - 5:36 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

All you need to know for now is the genus names, then you can start learning the species slowly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users