• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Differentiating Pheidole megacephala from Linepithema humile?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 7 2014 - 12:47 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

As the title says, any obvious signs? I'm assuming a dead giveaway would be the presence of majors in the Pheidole colony.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 7 2014 - 1:56 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Well yes, the big-headed majors.  But also you're comparing myrmicine ants to (most) non-myrmicine ants, which is about like comparing an apple to an orange.

Without going into the depth of detail with which others may care to elaborate, myrmicines (Pheidole) will have the petiole and postpetiole, whereas non-myrmicines (Linepithema) will have a single petiole.

Notice how the waist of the ant narrows and becomes two distinct segments in this Pheidole megacephala:

LACM_ENT_142295_m_l_o.jpg

Whereas this Linepithema humile only has one small notch connecting the alitrunk to the gaster, which is probably not visible to the naked eye:

Linepithema_humile_CASENT0171090_P.jpg

Edited by drtrmiller, November 7 2014 - 3:51 PM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 7 2014 - 2:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Let me rephrase my question: when I come home and see a trail of punk ants in my kitchen or in my garden, is there a quick way of telling whether they're Pheidole or Linepithema?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 7 2014 - 2:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You can differentiate them with the naked eye if you get one on your finger and examine it for a second.  Linepithema are notorious for trails indoors.  I'm not sure about Pheidole.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 7 2014 - 2:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pretty much what drtrmiller said is it. You don't really have to look for the nodes, but you will notice on myrmicines, the petiole is usually skinnier and longer, and bends upward slightly most of the time, so it will look like a much more noticeable waste on them. That's how I know right away when I look down at an ant whether it's a myrmicine, or one of the single-node subfamilies.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 7 2014 - 3:12 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
HAHAHA! Comparing an apple to an orange! :lol: I though the subfamily that Linepithema are in have no petiole at all. :thinking: Ant identification is the major thing I need to improve in. :( Also, @Foogoo even though Pheidole megacephala have recently been introduced to California, the area where you are in would probably not have them yet, as they are only existent around Costa Mesa, and those areas. Of course, I do not know much about the facts of P.megacephala in California.

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 7 2014 - 3:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

HAHAHA! Comparing an apple to an orange! :lol: I though the subfamily that Linepithema are in have no petiole at all. :thinking: Ant identification is the major thing I need to improve in. :( Also, @Foogoo even though Pheidole megacephala have recently been introduced to California, the area where you are in would probably not have them yet, as they are only existent around Costa Mesa, and those areas. Of course, I do not know much about the facts of P.megacephala in California.

Hm, interesting. I'm guessing Crematogaster can be differentiated by their heart-butts? Seems like most of the random small black ants I see around here are Linepithema, but I want to make sure I'm not mistaking them for any other species before I heartlessly flick them away or blast them with the hose.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 7 2014 - 4:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you start going "anting" outside the city a lot, you will pretty quickly learn to tell the difference between Argentine ants and other ants.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted November 7 2014 - 4:41 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Take a magnifying glass with you next time and see if it helps.  If you don't want to touch the ants, use a piece of kleenex.

It takes a bit, but honest, a year from now it will be no problem to tell a Pheidole from a Linepithema.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 8 2014 - 9:49 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Minor P. megacephala workers are the same size as Argentine ant workers, but much shinier, and more yellowish brown than gray or blackish-brown. See them once side by side, and you'll never confuse them again (as long as you have your glasses on :) ).

See numerous P. megacephala pictures, including minors, here http://itp.lucidcent...egacephala.html

Edited by James C. Trager, November 8 2014 - 9:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users