• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C. nercticus mystery

camponotus camponotus nearcticus carpenter ant pupa pupae camponotus colony

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 16 2017 - 4:05 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So a month or two back I caught a C. nearcticus queen. For the first week or so she didn't lay any eggs. in fact, I noticed the first sign of offspring as a small larvae that appeared about a month after capture. I just checked on her and has a small pile of 3-4 eggs and larvae and 1 pupa, which she keeps separate from the rest. Now this isn't the weird part. Everyone knows that Camponotus pupae spin cocoons. Except this pupae is naked. It has no cocoon. I may be wrong about specific species, but it's definitely some species of Camponotus. She has the signature thorax shape of a carpenter ant queen. If someone could try to explain this, I would be grateful. Thank you.

#2 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 21 2017 - 10:57 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
This may sound stupid, but maybe the pupa is dead? Has there been development?
  • lucas3431 likes this

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 22 2017 - 3:54 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

This may sound stupid, but maybe the pupa is dead? Has there been development?

No,it's alive. It's gone from plain white to an eye appearing.

#4 Offline Flame.Hyped - Posted September 14 2017 - 12:48 PM

Flame.Hyped

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I have Camponotus nearcticus as well, sometimes they just get naked pupae. I don't know why

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 14 2017 - 1:09 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

It should be fine - I had a colony of Formica that had pupae that didn't spin cocoons and after looking it up other ant keepers sometimes recorded it.  I think that some people were thinking that it could be related to their being a lack of substrate - when there is no dirt, sand, etc. then there's a greater chance they won't spin cocoons vs. creating them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus nearcticus, carpenter ant, pupa, pupae, camponotus colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users